John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a Brother Laser printer HL 1430 about 15 years old

Customer Question

I have a Brother Laser printer HL 1430 about 15 years old and have recently purchased a MacBook Air computer. I wish to connect them by USB but the computer tells me I will of course need to upgrade the software.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Brother is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: A. 15 years old approx. Model HL 1430
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: MacBook Air - running Sierra OS
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I have just purchased the Mac and only just attempted to connect the printer.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I regret to have to inform you of the simple truth: this printer is not supported by Brother for use with MAC OS X versions above 10.10. 10.12, Sierra, is not listed on this page of downloads for the Brother printer of the HL series that you have:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=gb&lang=en&prod=hl1430_eu

What can be done? I'm not sure that much can be done. But, OS X 10.12 Sierra might have built-in drivers for this printer, at least for running it off a USB connection directly to the computer that is to print to it. That at least, might provide some function.

Let me know what you think, and how it goes when you try what I recommended.