Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

THE BLACK CARTRIDGE HAS STOPPED WORKING IN SPITE OF IT BEING

Customer Question
JUST OUT OF THE PAPER...
THE BLACK CARTRIDGE HAS STOPPED WORKING IN SPITE OF IT BEING JUST OUT OF THE PAPER. I HAVE A HP PHOTOSMART C6380 ALL-IN- ONE
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: IT IS AN HP PHOTOSMART C6380 ALL-IN-ONE SERIES
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: MAC
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: THE BLACK GOT VERY FAINT AND THEN VANISHED ALTOGETHER. I TRIED CLEANING THE PRINT HEAD AFTER GOING THROUGH A LOT OF INK PRINTING TEST PAGES
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: IF IT CAN BE EASILY REMEDIED THAT WOULD BE GREAT AS IT HAS ALWAYS WORKED BEAUTIFULLY
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Printers
1/4/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try (again) going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.
If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2009 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Engineer