John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I am in my 2nd day... yes, DAY of trying to get my new Pixma

Customer Question

I am in my 2nd day... yes, DAY of trying to get my new Pixma MG6600 installed to my MacBook Pro. No internet other than the hotspot I'm using from my iPhone to download the driver (CD was destroyed.. as was my entire desk area when a water leak brought down the ceiling 3 weeks ago) I'm using a printer USB cable.. have downloaded the driver package TWICE today alone, but it says it cannot detect the printer. What am I doing wrong?????
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the Pixma is? And has this happened before?
Customer: I purchased it last summer, but just opened it yesterday for the first time
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: MacBook Pro OS x Yosemite 10.10.5
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: How long has what been an issue? I just opened the box yesterday, and tried to install my 6 month old printer for the very first time. It's as if it's not reading the USB connection- just searching for a WLAN one
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to figure out why the heck this is the most convoluted printer installation I've done in 20 years...
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Are you trying to get the printer working with a USB cable connection?

Or with wireless/WiFi ? (It sounds as if it were an attempt at WiFi.)

If you have no local router, you will have trouble with the setup... unless you know a certain something about such setups. They differ without a router you see.

And without a router, the question is: Does your computer have WiFi capability? and is it turned On ?