Alex Lako
Alex Lako, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  IBM - Country Support Specialist
96848705

Our MFC-L2740DW seems to have a sensor issue related to

Customer Question

Our MFC-L2740DW seems to have a sensor issue related to toner. We put new Toner in and within a week or so we cannot print as an error message appears that we need new toner. We are using Brother Toner. When I take the toner out and shake it I get toner on my hand so I know there is ink. A toner usually lasts us 45 days. The printer is about 2 years old
JA: What's the make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Please see abovce
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC and Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The last couple toners have had this problem. So probably 2-3 months. But for the last 2 toners: the first one we replaced after it gave same error message and had only been in the machine 10 days. When the 2nd toner gave same error after a couple weeks, we put the 1st toner back in and it worked for another couple weeks. Then we put the 2nd toner back in and it worked for another couple weeks. So again I know its not the toner- but a problem with the machine. Now this is the third toner that is having the problem, and it was used for about 10 business days until today when the error message popped up
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Printers
Expert:  Alex Lako replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today with your printer problem. My success depends on your positive feedback, and therefore your satisfaction is my highest priority.

First let's check to make sure the latest firmware is installed in the printer.

Please go to the following Brother website to install the Firmware Update tool, and then run it. It will check to make sure that you have the latest firwware update installed in your printer. If you are not at the latest, let the utility install the update.

If you are at the latest, please continue.

Next, please clean the Corona Wire. The corona wire is the high voltage wire that charges the drum unit when it prints. This is a safe customer tasks when the printer is not printing, so do not worry about performing the task. Please follow the instructions at this web site location:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=hk&lang=en&prod=mfcl2740dw_us_eu_as&ftype3=2046&faqid=faq00000208_044

The reason for cleaning the wire is that if the wire is dirty, sometimes it can cause electrical interference, which can manifest itself as printing errors.

And finally, you can reset the toner count by doing the following steps.

1. Open the front cover where the toner cartridge is. You will get a message that says Cover is Open.

2. Press and hold the # button for 10 seconds.

3. You will be in the Reset menu.

4. Scroll down until you see the TNR-STR-A menu item, and press it to select it.

5. Press Yes to confirm you want to reset. You should see the message Accepted.

6. Close the Cover, and press the Home Key.

Try printing again.

I hope that the above steps will solve your toner problems.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen, and then click submit.

Thank you,

Alex