Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

Its an Epson xp 620 and the PBK (black) cartridge is out of

Customer Question

its an Epson xp 620 and the PBK (black) cartridge is out of ink - can I get the printer to use the XL black int cartridge (I only want to print a few documents) tks
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: its 18 months old xp620 is all I can see ?
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac oSX El Capitan
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: just ran out now and due to the holidays (and (I live in a remote country area) I can't get a replacement cartridge for 3-4 days by mail from Epson
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope, thats all - all else is cool tks
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I will be answering your question tonight.

In order to get the XL cartridge to work, you would have to also install an XL for the other colors as well. For some reason, the Epson printer warrants this, unfortunately.

There have been cases where it would work, you can try, but I cannot guarantee that it will work for you.

I hope that helps.
If you have any questions, please reply to this thread.

If you have no further questions, please remember to rate my answer with 5-stars in the top right hand corner of this thread so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

Have a Happy New Year!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hi there
the printer currently has one XL Black and then 3 narrower colour cartridges and a narrow PBK black ? its the PBK that apparently is out of ink- I was wondering if there is a command to tell the unit to take ink from the XL Black for a simple b7w document ? as it seems crazy that I have all that black ink in the XL but can't get at it...

I don't know of any thing like that. What I will do is release this question to another expert so we can see if someone else may have an idea on how to do this. There is no extra charge! Stand by.

Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I am pleased that I have the opportunity to assist you. Please give me a few moments to review your problem.

Your printer has the capability to continue printing from the Black ink cartridge after one or more color cartridges are expended. I presume this capability includes printing with Black after the Pigment Black (Photo Black) cartridge has been expended.

Just go to Printer Properties from the operating system or from within your printing application and do the following:

1) Select Plain Paper/Bright White Paper or Envelope as the paper setting.

2) Select the Black/Gray Scale checkbox.

If you are satisfied with my advice, I would appreciate a Good or Excellent rating. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ARE HAVING PROBLEMS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, SO THAT I CAN PROVIDE YOU WITH THE ADDITIONAL SUPPORT THAT YOU NEED. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be of service. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY TIME AND EFFORT WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING!

Here is a link to the article on the web from which I got my information:

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd4/cpd41237/index.html

It may make things easier for you to see the source material. You probably will not have any problem with this.