Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

Don't know it was printing fine then one day it just

Customer Question

Don't know it was printing fine then one day it just "decided to stop . it has plenty of ink but just shoots out blank pages
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: cannon 980, maybe 4-5 years old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: printing from a PC, OS - XP
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: the problem started about 2-3 months ago, the reason I didn't contact cannon before was that it did work every once in a while, weird. tried to print an envelope, it got jammed I got it out then this ...
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: can't think of anything. it is an all in one, oh yes, also... I just purchased a hP office jet 4655 which I cannot get one of my computers to recognize (the XP. I am chatting from my HP pavilion HPE
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 7 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I amCustomerand I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Please try the following and let me know the response.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself. Inside means the printhead where the cartrdige seats.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.

If any of the cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 5 minutes.
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message.
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that did not solve the problem it still just shoots out blank pages
Expert:  Shefin replied 7 months ago.

Please try cleaning the printhead and aligning it. Do cleaning and deep cleaning. Do the cleaning at least three times.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART103311&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1483307816369

If the issue still persists even after cleaning the printhead more times, you need to replace the printhead in order to get the issue resolved. However, most printers are now manufactured to a "replace not repair" standard. To understand why this is the case, consider the cold, hard, real-world cost of repairing a printer.

If the product is not under warranty, you could take it to a local shop and they MIGHT be able to find parts to repair it. Unfortunately by the time you paid for labor and parts, you'd have far more in it that you would have buying an equivalent (or even superior) printer.

Unfortunately that's your best option at this point is to simply replace the printer. I really wish I had better news for you.

Thank you.

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did!
Expert:  Shefin replied 7 months ago.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. However, I am glad that you have got a new printer.

Thank you.

Customer/p>