John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I haven't used my PIXMA MX712 for 6-7? months. I'm trying to

Customer Question

I haven't used my PIXMA MX712 for 6-7? months. I'm trying to print a doc. but NO INK is coming out. All cartridges have ink in them. Do you have any suggestion as to how to get the ink to flow again? We are moving and the docs. that came with the printer are packed away somewhere. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks Pearl. Jerry
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: CANNON, PIXMA MX712. I am using CANNON cartridges.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: MAC. macOS Sierra 10.12.2
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I have not used the printer for 7 - 8 months. Yesterday I tried to print a doc. and no ink came out on the page.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I would just like to know what to do to get the ink flowing again.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Sadique. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Its a problem with the printhead. The ink inside the printhead has dried and clogged due to no use.

As of first step, I would suggest you to clean the printhead manually.

Remove the printhead and soak it in hot water for about 10 minutes until its 100% clean.

Then clean the contacts of the cartridge s well using cotton swabs dipped in rubbing alcohol.

Please use a hair dryer to make sure everything is 100% dry before replacing everything back.

Tell me if it makes any difference to your problem.