John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a Canon Pixma iP 100 series printer that has stopped

Customer Question

I have a Canon Pixma iP 100 series printer that has stopped working. The online message was "Service error 5100. Can you help me?
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: No it has never done this before and I purchased it in 2012.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I'm using a Hewlett Packard laptop computer with Windows 10 operating system. The green and yellow lights on the printer are both blinking. Turning it off and on again does not work. It happened right after I changed both ink wells.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I just told you that I changed both ink wells and I also cleaned the printing heads by holding down the yellow button for 3 seconds.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's everything I know about the problem.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 6 months ago.

Strong suggestion: change the ink wells back to what you had previously. Obviously, the device is upset with the replacement cartridges for some reason.

Suggestion: a PIXMA is extremely cheap. It is often cheaper to replace the printer than to order new ink!