John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have an Epson 2880. I usually use Luster paper and thus

Customer Question

I have an Epson 2880. I usually use Luster paper and thus the Photo Black cartridge. I tried matte paper and switched cartridges. Now I CANNOT get the printer to go back to recognize the photo black cartridge I put in.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Epson is old. I would say 6 years?
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Epson Photo Stylus R2880
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I have a Mac. Printing out of Lightroom. It has long been somewhat of a problem. But I have used only photo black for maybe a year, so ___
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. That
Category: Printers
Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Sadique. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Remove the black cartridge and inspect the chip contacts (in printer). Epson printers use a series of thin gold plated wire contacts that the cartridge chip slides and presses against - when cartridge is installed. These contacts can corrode, or stick to the chip, particularly if they ever had any ink contamination. The wires can sometimes bend, or even get pulled out - with cartridge, when it is removed.

Tell me what you observe.