Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

I get an error message "Operating System not found", what do

Customer Question

I get an error message "Operating System not found", what do I do to correct this problem? See photo.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 7 months ago.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

It looks as if it is trying to Boot From the PXE or Network Boot.

Which you obviously dont have.

YOu need to set the BIOS to BOOT from the Hard Drive.

.

If you have a Hard drive connected to the compuiter......but the BIOS does not recognize it.....then the hard drive has failed.

SO....what you need to do first, is go into the BIOS.

From there you can check and see if the Hard Drive (notated HDD) is connected and recognized by the Motherboard and BIOS.

MOst of the time.....the issue is caused by a hard drive that has failed......and Well....thats where all the data is......so it wont boot at all now, without a working hard drive with an Opertaing System on it.

It would make sense that the hard drive has failed due to the fact that the computer is about 5 years old.

It is unfortunate....but there is no cure for a failed hard drive except to replace it.

The dta that is on the failed drive is most likely still intact, but unretreivable.

Most drives fail because of the moving parts. The spindle and head motors are extremely precise motors and over year of usage will wear out.

Much like an automobile....computers need regular maintenance......and the hard drive needs to be replaced about every 3-5 years.

The question becomes......do you WAIT for the drive to fail before you replace it.......or replace it before it fails?

There is no mileage marker on a hard drive to tell you it is begining to fail.....or in the stages of failing.

However.....keeping a keen EAR to the noise that it makes can be a sign.

Unusual noises, such as clicking....or high pitched whining.....or loud humming ...can all be signs that the drive is begining to fail. and due for replacement.

But.....ive seen drives last for 10+ years, and some drives fail after just a few minutes.

But the general rule, and what you can usually expect is abotu 3 years......and your pushing it beyond 5 years.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What is the approximate cost of replacing a hard drive on a Dell laptop computer? More precisely the 1558 laptop.

Well.....there are generally 2 factors in the cost of the drive.

The Size or capacity of the drive (how much data it can hold) and the type of drive it is.......HDD (Hard Disk Drive has moving parts) versus SSD (Solid State Drive, no moving parts)

The higher the capacity.....price goes up.....and there is a premium cost to SSD drives.

.

I reccomend you shoudl stay in the 75-100 price range.

YOu can get a 1TB (which is ALOT of DATA.....its 1000 GB.....or(###) ###-####B of data cpapcity) in the type of SSD for 100-150 and the HDD type for under 100

But just throwing in a NEW hard drive doesnt automatically fix the issue.

YOu then have to BOOT from a disc or USB drive to INSTALL an OPEARTING system onto the new drive.

That in and of itself usually takes an hour or more.

OPERATING SYSTEM.....correction

An Operating System is Windows.....WIndows 7, WIndows 8, Windows 10

.

So you need the Windows Disc......or purchase one.

YOu might be able to use the discs that came WITH the dell.....but then again it may not work.

They are STRICTLY designed for the SAME hardware......but if you change any hardware they may not work....it just depends.

But.....it can be a challenge to get the Windows OS that WAS on yoru OLD drive to properly install on the NEW drive......for FREE that is.

YOu can ALWAYS buy it......but the Product Key for the Windows you have.....is what you need to find......then you might have to call microfost to tell them your REINSTALLING, that is usually the trick.

It just depends really.....on what type of product key you have....or if you even still have it fo rthat matter.

But in any case.......a NEW hard drive is the first step to getting the computer back up and running.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Replacing the HDD and reinstalling the operating system would cost about $150.00, round figure, wouldn't you say? What does it mean to 'Rate Expert to Finish?'

I can show you a great drive online you can use as a replacement.

But if you tell me the Service Tag Number....i can check to make sure what type yoru drive is.....whether its a 2.5inch (standard for a LONG TIME) or the newer M.2 type of Drive.

Its probably the 2.5 inch drive....and im like 99% sure it is.

That being said......heres a great drive from NewEgg that is a hybrid......best of both worlds SSD and HDD in a single box.

Put the OS on the SSD and your data on the HDD......that will speed everythign up.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Gaming-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000LM014/dp/B00B99JUBQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1481325847&sr=1-1&keywords=1+tb+2.5&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A6569852011%2C4682011011

Please take a moment to rate at the top of the page.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Service Tag Number is *****

okay.yeah i confirmed it.

YOur Dell has a TOSHIBA MK5056GSY

And it is a 2.5 inch 500GB HDD SATA II (3.0Gbps) drive

So, ANY 2.5 inch SATA II drive will work

or you CAN use a SATA III drive, as it is supposed to be backwards compatible.

So....just about ANY 2.5 inch laptop drive will work.

But like i said......stay in the 75 - 100 dollar range.

500GB or 1000GB (1TB) shoudl be plenty for capacity

The Hybrid drive i showed you above is what i would go with.

Its got SSD and HDD in the same drive.

So, your Operating System wil be fast, using the SSD side......and you can have lots of DATA using the HDD side.

But you COULD get a FULL SSD drive.....it will just cost more.

Here is a Full SSD, 750 GB for $220

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE4ND2800

.

Heres a Full SSD, 500 GB for $220

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167246

.

But the Hybrid drive is half the price.......so you can see how a Full SSD is more expensive.

And a Hybrid drive falls into the budget.

So....i would go for a hybrid.......thats my Expert Answer.

But if you can swing the price....go for the Full SSD.....they are worth it......if youcan afford it

Did you have any other Questions?