Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

I have a MFC-8810DW. When I turned it on yesterday, The fan

Customer Question

I have a MFC-8810DW. When I turned it on yesterday, The fan did not start and I have a "Please Wait" message on the screen. It doesn't matter how long you wait, the printer does not start.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past? Our average wait time is under 20 minutes. Sometimes it takes just a minute. More complicated questions that need more research might take an hour or two. I'd be happy to chat with you while you wait. The stories I've heard working here...
Customer: It is not a TV, it is a multi-function printer. I rarely turn it off, but it has never been a problem before.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC with Windows Ultimate 7. I unplugged the printer overnight to see if it would reset itself, which it did not. Is there a reboot protocol that I can try?
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The printer functioned perfectly before this happened - I have owned it for 2 1/2 years.. I turned it off briefly yesterday evening, and the wait message came up when I turned it back on.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I unplugged it overnight. This does not work.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Thanks

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No change in status. The fan did not start when I powered on, and I still have the "Please Wait" message on the screen.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Thanks

It is the internal mainboard that has faulted, this now confirms it

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Perfect. Warranty has expired. What will be my cost for this repair.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Without a warranty it wont be possible unless you sourced a second hand printer online with a component other then the mainboard that is faulty and then replaced it yourself.

With the low cost of printers currently, it is just not economically feasible to have these repaired outside of the warranty.