John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My printer is fine but I would like to learn how to install

Customer Question

My printer is fine but I would like to learn how to install and use a new hp 1TB ministation USB 3.0 Portable hard drive?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I am using a Mac OX 6.8
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac OS X 10.6.8
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I just received my new prtable hard drive today
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Are there any tutorials on line pertaining to the portable hard drive?
Category: Printers
Expert:  TheGeekGal replied 11 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** would be my pleasure to assist you with this. In order to use this drive with your MAC, you will need to format it for use with a MAC. Here's how to do it:

1. Be sure your drive is attached and mounted.
  2. If you have already written any data to the drive, back it up before proceeding to the next step.
  3. In the Finder, choose Go > Utilities. The /Applications/Utilities folder will open.
  4. Launch Disk Utility.
  5. Click the icon for your external hard drive in the sidebar on the left.
  6. Click the Erase tab along the top of the window.
  7. From the Volume Format menu, choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
  8. Enter a name for the external hard drive in the Name field.
  9. Click the Erase button.

After you've formatted it, you should be able to drag and drop files to it just as if it was another hard drive on your computer.

Please give this a try and let me know if you run into any difficulties or have further questions.