comp_audio
comp_audio, Technician
Experience:  I offer over 20 years experience in diagnosing and fixing home and business printers. I am eager to assist you today.
44312836

GM. I am trying to print in &w. Have cleaned heads and done

Customer Question

GM. I am trying to print in b&w. Have cleaned heads and done nozzle check. Every fourth line or so is only half there - other lines are fine
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: WF 2540
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Windows/PC
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Printer totally stopped working about 2 weeks ago. I deleted and re-installed it from my PC. Now it is printing, but every fourth row is half there
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No OK
Category: Printers
Expert:  comp_audio replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you today. Please give me a minute to review your issue and get back to you. Thanks in advance

Please tell me if you have done (if its available) an alignment check?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is no alignment check available from the menu, i have done everything that i able to do from the maintenance menu
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Have done nozzle check and head alignment)

It is possible that the ink cartridges may be old or low on ink, and you may need to replace them. Also make sure the paper type setting matches the type of paper you have loaded. When did you last replace your ink?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Very recently, I will take them out and shake to see if that helps. Can't figure out why some rows are 100% clear while others arrnot

Another thing I have seen is maybe turning off any high speed printing options. It is in the settings prompt when printing.

Did it start doing this when you changed ink last?

As for your ink, is it a true epson brand ink or is it a generic brand?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, it was unrelated to the ink change
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just shook all cartridges, sending a test page now

ok, I am not sure shaking will help, as I have never had to do that.

I have had instances where ink cartridges have been bad from the factory. When I could not figure out the issue I took them back and had replaced them and issues would go away. Do you have another set of ink cartridges to try?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Shaking them made no difference - looking to see if I have a new set to try...one moment

Ok, thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Replaced all ink cartridges - still having exact same issue

Ok, give me a minute while I check a couple things on that printer model.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Anything new to suggest based on your research?

Sorry I thought I had replied. From what I found it appears your print head is most likely the culprit and is failing. How long have you owned this printer?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
3-4 years

Okay, this means it is most likely out of warranty sadly. As much as this may hurt, you like myself had our print heads fail after several years of use and its time to replace. I went with an Epson WF 3620 as it was still relatively inexpensive ($99 from Office Max) and ink was easily attainable and I found I could use some cheaper knock off inks as well with great quality.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
tried to print the same doc after changing all ink cartridges. Thought maybe it was just the black that was an issue (bc my 'test' doc is black and white). When I changed the font on my test print from black to blue, the rows of print all came out, but they look strange - color is not consistent. One row is blue, the next one almost pink.

Yes, that is consistent with a print head starting to go bad if you changed all the inks and its still printing with poor quality. Per your test with changing colors, as strange as it sounds and is when printing black and white many printer manufacturers for some reason use all colors to print black. I often thought it was a waste myself, but it is a way to keep the inks from drying out.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, I will probably just look for a new printer on black friday then, it would probably be just as expensive to repair it. Thanks for your help

Your welcome. Please remember to accept and rate my answer. Your right to wait until Black Friday as you will most likely get a great deal on a printer.

Hi, was there something I missed or forgot to address? If your satisfied that I have assisted you please remember to rate me so that I may get the credit for helping you.