Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have an HP 8610 printer and access it wirelessly from my

Customer Question
Hi there, JA: Hello. What seems...
Hi there,
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I have an HP 8610 printer and access it wirelessly from my MacBook Pro using OSX El Capitan 10.11.6. Often, lately there is a printer message that the printer isn't connected and I have to restart my laptop in order to print a document.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model HP8610 purchased 7/20/15
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: MacBook Pro using OSX El Capitan 10.11.6.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Has been a problem for about six weeks. I went to your website about a month and upgraded my HP software a few weeks ago and it seemed to be working much better until the past week
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
11/19/2016
Technician: Kris8472,
 replied 1 year ago
Kris8472

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

Technician: Kris8472,
 replied 1 year ago

Welcome to JustAnswer

Does the printer go into stand-by mode when this happens or does it seem active enough?

Regards

Kevin

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Printer is active as far as I can tell
Technician: Kris8472,
 replied 1 year ago

Would you like me to connect and have a look remotely?

Regards

Kevin

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Technician: Kris8472,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok let me see what you can do

Technician: Kris8472,
 replied 1 year ago

These settings are for setting up your wireless printer to stay connected to your router, keep wireless devices better connected and makes your router secure and hack proof.

Please let me know If you have issues.

1. Set a static IP in the printer (click here) outside the DHCP range of the router (check your manual). This is for Linksys routers but can be used for all routers. Verify your DHCP range and change this first if needed. More Wireless Printing help is here (Windows solution 4, static IP).
  2. Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off/Sleep' is disabled and/or the System Mode Time Out is set to zero (0). Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going to the printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click Settings Tab/Auto Off. Or use the Printer Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). Also check your Printers Properties.
  3. If the printer supports and has IPv6 enabled, turn off IPv6 in the printer.
  4. If needed and you assigned a static IP address, try using 8.8.8.8 for the Preferred DNS server and 8.8.4.4 at the Alternate DNS server.
  5. Verify the printer is on the latest firmware by checking with the HP Support site.

In the router: (Refer to your router manual for information)

1. Use a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never 'auto', try channel 1 first then the rest.
  2. Set router to 20Mhz only, or 145Mbps depending on router.
  3. Always use WPA2-AES (Personal) encryption, but you can try ‘mixed’ mode.
  4. Disable WPS and never use it and disable UPnP for the routers security. Nobody can hack your system now and helps with wireless connectivity (if you want to know why, search the web).
  5. If you have a dual band router (2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz bands), make sure the SSID’s are NOT the same, they must be different for all bands, even for any Guest networks.
  6. SSID broadcast must be enabled.
  7. Save all settings. Power off both, wait 2 mins. Power on router wait 2 mins.
  8. Power on printer and verify it reconnects to router.

Regards

Kevin

PS.. If this works please rate me above. I need to get credit for helping :)

This was not at all helpful. I ended up going to the HP website and figuring out how to resolve this issue.
Please make sure my PERSONAL INFO AND CREDIT CARD INFO ARE COMPLETELY REMOVED from you system--and DO NOT send me any more e-mails inquiries. Thanks
Kris8472
Kris8472
Kris8472