John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Working with an HP 5550 Color LaserJet DN printer. It says

Customer Question

Hi. Working with an HP 5550 Color LaserJet DN printer. It says card slot not initialized and that there is a jam in tray 1, but there is no jam. Any fix?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your LaserJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I have no idea how old. I just see HP 5550 Color LaserJet DN It's pretty old though
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just today and yesterday. It was working normally before this
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It just keeps saying there are paper jams in tray 1 and tray 2, but there are no visible jams. And also says that card slot is not initialized
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Hopefully, this may merely be a case of a rather old and getting-cranky machine. In which case, if so, this is a temporary fault.

I advise you first, to unplug the laser printer in question, and leave it unplugged from the power for at least 1 hour (or as long as overnight.) That allows it to cool down and rest/reset.

After that, see if it powers On in an OK status, after removing all paper from all paper trays, and seating the paper trays carefully in place. (Expect, if all is well, a message about Paper Out Tray 1 and 2 or the like.)

Let me know how it goes, please. Thanks.