Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

I have a Brothers 7340 printer with a scanner on it I am

Customer Question

I have a Brothers 7340 printer with a scanner on it I am trying to scan a document but I have the signal for the printer that it is idle, default. For some reason, the scanner is not connecting up with my MAC as i am trying to run the scanner off my mac desktop. My phone number is(###) ###-#### A couple of days ago, I scanned over 50 pages. I just do not know what is happening. Thank you. *****
JA: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Brothers 7340 printer about 3 years old.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: MAC Desktop. Operating System - I do not know. I do not do anything really complicated with my system. Also, I was able to scan documents 2 days ago so I really do not know what has happened in the interim.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: One day. I do not know what you mean about what happened right before this popped up. I used systems preferences on the mac. Only have the 7340 printer on my computer. I went through the procedure that I normally do with systems preferences - go to scan, activate scan and then hit scan on the box that pops up. I also get a message that says drum scan off but the other thing that pops up in the printer select is that the printer is said to be idle, default. I do not know if I am being of any help.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO unless it comes up in conversation. Thanks.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 8 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Please follow the instructions given below.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Choose Print & Fax (or Print & Scan) or Printers & Scanners.
  3. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
  4. Then, click the + (plus sign that you see on the print & scan window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer. Select your printer from the list.

Note : Make sure that you are resetting the printing system before adding the printer.

5. Then, try scanning again.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Shefin,
Thanks for your email. However, it is still not working. When I add the Brothers 7340, I go to systems preferences, and follow your procedure. I enter Printers and Scanners. Reset printing system as you recommend and then hit the + sign as you recommend. I then try to scan and nothing happens. Is there any way you can call me at(###) ###-####for help. I am sure it is just a minor situation but I do not know what to do. Thanks. *****
Expert:  Shefin replied 8 months ago.

Please try scanning using ImageCapture. Follow the instructions in the link below.

http://www.switchingtomac.com/tutorials/how-to-scan-in-os-x-using-image-capture/

Let me know the result.

Thank you.

S H E F I N