Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

It shows all the features as disabled, with no ability to

Customer Question
enter "set up" JA: What's the...
it shows all the features as disabled, with no ability to enter "set up"
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: officejet pro x476 about a year old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac, Sierra 10.12.1
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Also have El Capitan 10.11.6
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: the printer froze up, wouldn't allow shut down and wouldn't respond. unpluged to reset, then this.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
11/19/2016
Technician: BobJamIT,
 replied 1 year ago
BobJamIT

My name is***** will do my best to help.

Please provide more details so I can better understand what is happening:

You have an HP OfficeJet Pro x476, and it's showing all the features are disabled - does it print at all?

Where does it show all features disabled; on the printer's display, or on the computer?

When the printer "froze up", was it in the middle of printing, or is that a reference to something that showed on the computer?

Thank you for answering these questions so I know better how to respond.

Bob

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was not printing anything. When I tried to print, I realize the printer was not working. Here are a couple of pictures.The only thing that will print is a printer status report.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Technician: BobJamIT,
 replied 1 year ago

Thank you, ***** ***** me a few moments to look over these. If you are presented with a "Premium Service", feel free to just close it - it is automated after my 2nd response. We can revisit that option if necessary later on.

Technician: BobJamIT,
 replied 1 year ago

I'm still researching, and I appreciate your patience.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Take your time. While you work, I play :)
Technician: BobJamIT,
 replied 1 year ago

OK, please open a web browser (Safari, Firefox) and enter this into the address field: http://10.1.10.198

(you might be able to just click that link)

Does it open to the printer's interface?

Are you able to select different things there?

Technician: BobJamIT,
 replied 1 year ago

Or it might be http://10.0.1.10

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Checking now.
Technician: BobJamIT,
 replied 1 year ago

Could you please try them from the computer?

Technician: BobJamIT,
 replied 1 year ago

Could you try this address please: http://192.168.223.1

If that doesn't work, we may need to connect with SSL, so we could try these:

https://10.1.10.198

https://10.0.1.10

https://192.168.223.1

Do any of those get you to the HP interface?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All of them say "refused to connect" except https://10.1.10.198/, which says "took too long to respond."
Technician: BobJamIT,
 replied 1 year ago

What is the IP address of your computer?

Do you know how to find it?

Does it start like any of those?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
10.1.10.77
Technician: BobJamIT,
 replied 1 year ago

I'm working on some steps to try, please be patient.

Technician: BobJamIT,
 replied 1 year ago

OK, please try this - it's a forced and manual "Full Reset":

Hold in the Power Button until the printer shuts all the way off; all lights must be off.
Disconnect the power cable from the back of the printer.
Hold in the Power Button while connecting the power cable to the back of the printer.
- Keep holding the Power Button until the HP logo appears on the display, then it will disappear.

This is the tricky part:
Tap once where the "Home" icon should be on the display - upper-left of display.
Tap once where the "Back" icon should be on the display - lower-left of display.
Tap twice where the "Home" icon should be - this is when the display should light up.
Tap once on the "X" - bottom-right.
Tap twice on the "?" - top-right.
- It should display "FULL RESET".
Tap once on the "Back" icon - bottom-left.
The HP logo should appear again, but then the printer will do a full reset.

Hopefully this works, and even more so, the printer allows full access to all features.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I will try this.
Technician: BobJamIT,
 replied 1 year ago

Please do let me know what the result is.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now the display is shut down, and the power light cycles between orange and green.
Technician: BobJamIT,
 replied 1 year ago

I may have misspoke, I did say "all lights", what I meant was everything on the display. The display should be dark and the wireless light should be off. The power button might still be illuminated until you release it - then disconnect the power cable and do the rest.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. I will try
Technician: BobJamIT,
 replied 1 year ago

My night is at an end, I hope you don't mind if I pick this up tomorrow?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That works for me. Just tried the "tap dance" and the Display never lit up, until I let go of the power button. Still the same problem as before.
Technician: BobJamIT,
 replied 1 year ago

Here is the Youtube video I found to get the steps for a full reset, please watch the video as it might help with the sequence of how it works. I may have missed something. One thing I noticed is that they are very meticulous in not going to fast or slow, they just steadily go through the steps.

Here's the link: https://youtu.be/SzaD3yzcugM

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Bob

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found another video and was able to do a reset. That machine went through a 20 minute recalibration process, but then the screen showed the same issues.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I used this exact video
Technician: BobJamIT,
 replied 1 year ago

Just to clarify, the printer is still not allowing access to the features?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is correct. And it still has a note in the bottom left saying "calibrating." This is been almost 2 hours.
Technician: BobJamIT,
 replied 1 year ago

The last bit of advice I could offer would be based on how old the printer is. You said it is "about a year old". If it is under 1 year, then it is likely it is still covered by the manufacturers standard warranty. If it is over a year old, maybe not covered still. You might have purchased an extended warranty, only you would know. Hopefully you could take advantage of the warranty at this point.

Thanks,

Bob

BobJamIT
BobJamIT
BobJamIT