John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

It won't recognise ink cartridges, Epson WF-7510 Cartriges

Customer Question

It won't recognise ink cartridges
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: Epson WF-7510 Cartriges E138*
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Computer is Microsoft Surface Pro 3 running Microsoft 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just happened a few days ago. Immediately after a paper jam
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's it - do I have to repeat to him everything I just wrote down for you?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Are you using genuine/oem epson ink cartridges, or generic/refilled inks?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Generic - they have worked perfectly for three years
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello? Are you there?
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Yes, I am here. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay. Sorry.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

You have been exceptionally lucky, generic cartridges overall have only about a 40% success rate, meaning they are often faulty right out of the box. Even when they do work, they can fail after working for awhile, and their use wears the printhead nozzles out about 3 times faster than the oem cartridges, they also void your warranty and are specifically prohibited by epson.

There is no way to force the generics to work, it is by design and by cartridge defect that they do not.

As a next step it is necessary for you to replace all of the cartridges with a new genuine cartridge. If you still have trouble with the printer after that, let me know and I'll advise further from there.

My apologies for the news.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have replaced the cartridges with new. Now only the black and yellow are not recognised. I took out and reinserted the yellow one and it is fine (for now - but it has been recognised / not recognised a few times during this problem. ATM the black is the only one not recognised.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Are these new cartridges genuine or generic though?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There brand is Printec Imaging
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Again though, that is the problem, generic cartridges do not always work and just replacing one bad one with another will not always help. To move forward, I highly recommend you purchase an epson cartridge, even if just for the black and yellow this one time.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Fine. I don't think that solves my problem though and necessitates at least several hours where I must source original cartridges. Not terribly happy with this advice actually. Putting new cartridges into a 3year old printer is not really heading for a success story imo.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

I cannot guarantee it will fix it, but it is the best course of action in attempting to resolve it.

It is quite possible that the printer has been permanently damaged by the use of the printec cartridges and cannot be resolved.

There are other steps we can take, but without knowing we have a good and functional cartridge, that limits what we can do from a diagnostic standpoint.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay, no joy here.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

We can skip ahead if you wish, but I would advise against it.

At a minimum I'd ask you to use another new set of the generic cartridges however if you insist on proceeding with them.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is SO not working for me. I had a credit in my paypal account and attempted to pay the $5 wanted. I now discover that $32 has been paid to you. What the hell for? Trying hard not to answer in capital letters.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

I am trying to help you, but if you are not willing to take the steps I'm recommending, that significantly limits our options to diagnose and address the issue.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The issue I would like you to address, rather immediately if you don't mind, is why I have been clipped for $32 - what sort of site is this? Okay, you can see I'm seriously unhappy - I really don't care to be duped by internet sites. Let's just park the printer problem momentarily shall we? Let's deal with the finance issue.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

That is the fee, and has been all along. It was never only $5, that was just the deposit to post the question.
I apologize if that was unclear, but the total amount would have been displayed on the payment page, at other steps along the way, and likely confirmed via email as well.

I understand your frustration, but please understand as well that I'm just the tech trying to help here, I am not a site employee and have no access to any billing or account info. We're all independent techs working on our own personal time.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay Nathan, back to the printer problem - I'll deal with the other matter myself. All new generic cartridges are in the printer. What's next. Also, I appreciate that this is not an instant response site - but I do feel that a full 10 MINUTES between responses is a bit much to deal with. Particularly in my current state of mind.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

I replied to your last question, and I believe all, within minutes at most.

To clarify, as we're all independent techs, I'm working here for only a small portion of your fees when we reach a resolution. If it is your intent to cancel or ask for a refund of any of those fees, that has the effect of making me work for free to help. If that is your plan, I would not be able to continue further.

Assuming you are in agreement with that fee,

With all new set of cartridges now, what specific error/message are you getting? Black and yellow again?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
34;Cannot recognise the following cartridge(s). Try installing them again < Ink cartridges > BK 140/138."I have reinstalled them several times over. Currently only the black is not recognised.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Okay thanks,

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc). While it is possible to get 3 bad ones in a row, it is looking more like a head failure at this point, which again is commonly brought on by using the generic cartridges, and black tends to fail first as it gets the most use.

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry I can't do this - it would mean crawling under the desk to reach the wall outlet and have just had a replacement knee so my 67 year old frame is unable to do quite a few things. I appreciate your advice but I'm done. Sorry.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

You can unplug the cord from the printer itself if that is easier, or flip the switch on a power strip if easier.