John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Trying to install mfc-7362n printer on windows10 laptop.

Customer Question

trying to install mfc-7362n printer on windows10 laptop. Cannot install just printer driver and scanner - it does not work - so downloaded full suite. When installing it hangs at the "plug in usb cable and switch on printer". Cnancelled out. Have tried this twice with same result.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Probably about 5 years - a mfc-7362n
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: a windows 10 laptop
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: just installing the printer driver as per brother instructions
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

There is a procedure that must be followed exactly to guarantee a successful printer installation. I can show you how to do it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would welcome this

GREAT! Please tell meyour name.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You are not able to remotely connect to this printer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My name is Bryson

I did not suggest that. The system automatically promotes it. Some customers prefer the convenience, but I would rather give you the directions, so that you will be able to repeat it on your own, if you have problems in the future.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. I would much rather have the instructions to use in the future

Pleased to meet you, Bryson. Let's get started. Please go to your Windows Control Panel - Hardware & Sound - View Devices & Printers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am there

Okay. Delete the print server icons for your printer.

Then go to Control Panel - Programs - Uninstall A Program and carefully select the software items for your printer, and uninstall them, one at a time. Then restart your computer. You can return to this conversation by selecting the link in your notification email.

I forgot to ask, how is your printer going to be connected when you use it for printing and scanning, via usb cable, Ethernet cable, or wireless?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There are no icons for this printer. I am trying to set it up. There is another brother printer there though which is the one I have been using. I have had a problem in the past trying to install 2 different brother computers on one laptop but I want to keep the other one as it will be a wifi printer I can use. There is an issue setting up this wifi printer at the moment so I want to use the mfc7362n in the meanwhile

What is the model number of the other Brother printer?

What is the issue with setting up the other printer on wifi?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The other printer is mfc-l2740dw

Are both printers in the same room?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
they can be if necessary. At the moment the L2740DW is near the modem to try & connect the wifi as i was having problems

So how are you trying to connect the 7362N?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
with a usb cable

You said that the procedure requested that you disconnect the usb cable. That shouldn't happen if you select a usb connection.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, what I said was that the install procedure hung when i was asked to connect the usb cable and switch on the printer (which i did), I have connected this printer successfully before on other laptops

Were you using a diskette or downloading the drivers from the internet?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
downloaded from the internet

Well, we will try it again, after you uninstall all the programs for the 7362N and restart your computer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the programs are only in my downloads folder which means they are not extracted yet as the install hung and I had to cancel out. Do I still need to restart?

If you have had any unsuccessful installations, the programs would show up in Control Panel - Programs, where they can be uninstalled, or there could be an Epson Removal Tool that was installed with the programs. Do you have any of these? I would like to have you restart your computer anyway, just so we know what we are dealing with.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nothing is in the control panel, no mfc7362n or epson removal tool so nothing to uninstall
I will restart my laptop now
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am up and running again
Sorry I did not answer one of your previous questions about setting up the other printer. It could be a MAC filtering problem with the new router. I need to log into it to check it out but cannot remember the ip address. Will address this after solving the current problem

Okay, Bryson. You can use this link to download and install the drivers for your printer and operating system from the official Brother websiite:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=as_ot&lang=en&prod=mfc7362n_as

If the link is not active, you can copy it and paste it into the url address field of your browser.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I originally downloaded from the official brother site. DO you want me to do this again?

As you mentioned earlier, you should start with the usb cable disconnected until prompted to connect it. Please do download the driver software again.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The link you provided is the same one I used

...just to eliiminate any variables that I do not know about.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It will complete in about 1 minute. DO you want me to start the install procedure straight away again?

Sorry about the link I sent you. It was ot pointing to the full feature driver set. Here is the link to the page that you should have located:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=as_ot&lang=en&prod=mfc7362n_as&os=10013

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the download is complete. I located this page already

OKay, good. Start the extraction and installation then, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Same thing as before. Gets to the "plug in the usb cable" so I follow the instructions and it hangs. I am still at that position now

You should be turning on the power and waiting until the printer is ready before connecting the usb cable, so that the computers will recognize it as a plug and play new hardware device. If the computer hangs, it is because it is waiting to recognize new hardware. You can try other usb ports and other usb cables, preferably one that has been previously tested with a file transfer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The printer was switched on before the cable was connected. I can try another usb cable but do not hold out any hope

Thank you fr the update. Please try other usb ports as well.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Tried a brand new usb cable and another port. Same result
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
DO you think this can be resolved? It has taken some time and I have other matters to attend to so cannot be on this issue much longer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is 7.30pm here

Let me think about that for a minute. I appreciate your time concerns.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Surely it is to do with windows 10

I do not have any other ideas at this time, except to try a wifi connection.

If it works wirelessly, that would rule out any Windows 10 compatibility issues.

One thing you can try is to turn the printer off and on while the usb cable is connected. Have you tried that yet?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Still at the same spot in the process

If you tried power cycling, please try extracting the download again, but select a wireless installation and allow it to complete the installation.

Keep the usb cable disconnected for the entire process.

This will be quick and easy to do, and it will provide useful troubleshooting information, even if it is not the configuration that you want to use.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am trying this
When I plugged in the usb cable it connected the printer as a usb composite device which is strange
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It only gives me 2 options, a usb connection or an ethernet (wired) connection so a wifi is not possible
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did leave the cable out of course. What I was talking about was my original connection before

Really? I guess I missed checking the specs to see if it was wireless. Why is it strange that it is recognized as a usb composite device?

IL have a networking manual that says that it has both Ethernet and wireless capability. Maybe you have an early model that does not have a wireless card installed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Because normally I imagine it would recognise it as a printer
Can we leave this now? It has taken too much time to try & resolve this issue. I still believe it is a windows 10 problem and not a laptop port problem - this is a new laptop. I am not enamoured with Brother

OH, wait. I forgot. You have to use the printer control panel to connect it wirelessly before you do the wifi installation. We can quit now it you want to. I am sorry that I was not able to solve your problem. But thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is no wifi on the printer panel. Checked that also. I reset the network on the printer etc. Only offers TCP/IP and ethernet.
Seems I know as much as you in this matter

TCP/IP can be either Ethernet or wireless. It may not have a wireless setup wizard, but it can be configured for TCP/IP directly. I cannot discuss this with you under the time pressure and with the impatience that you are showing now.

If you want to work the problem, we can work the problem. If you want to quit, we can quit. But you do not know as much as I do about this. I am a network engineer with many years of experience.