Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My MX410 has started misprinting--omitting words and letters

Customer Question

My MX410 has started misprinting--omitting words and letters when it prints.
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: Pixma MX410
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Dell PC using Microsoft 7
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just started suddenly a few days ago when I tried copying recipes from the internet
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

If you try making a copy, from the glass, how does that come out? (please test both black and color modes)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It makes a copy from the glass just fine.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Did you test both black only and color copy modes?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What do I do next?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tested both color and black .
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Okay if you are absolutely certain that copies are fine (no missing spots) that then indicates a computer/driver issue.

You'll need to go into your devices/printers folder on the computer (under control panel or settings), click the printer, then Remove (delete) printer.

Reboot the computer

When it comes back on, reinstall by downloading and installing the updated software from this link: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mx-series/pixma-mx410

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Your solution was not successful. I still have the same problem.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Can you please check the copy again, we need to be absolutely certain that copies come out perfect, as it is very unlikely for the copy to work and not the printer at this point.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have the same problem with the printer. I never had a problem with the copier.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

When you reinstalled, did you install the full driver and software package?
Do you have another computer you may use to test with the printer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I reinstalled exactly as you instructed, using the link you provided.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Yes but there are several items listed on that page. Did you use the driver version 1.02

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think so, but I'm not a tech guy. That's why i contacted you folks. I'm about ready to give up on this printer and buy a new one.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Well if you did so, that is the correct version, and that means then that there is a deeper issue within the printer. That is why I kept asking to be sure about the copy function, as well as if you could test another computer, to further isolate this.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I cannot move it to another computer.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Can you go test just a regular copy for me, in black and white mode (copy a document or text) and look at it very very carefully for any blank spots or white spacing between the lines?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm done for tonight.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Okay, you can get back to me later anytime.

If you prefer to skip ahead and replace the printer, which is still a possible and likely outcome, I can recommend some better replacement options for you as well.

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.