Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

What thinner is used in HP Office Jet 6700 print cartridges.

Customer Question
I suspect it is alcohol...
What thinner is used in HP Office Jet 6700 print cartridges. I suspect it is alcohol. To replace what % should I use?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
11/11/2016
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Reformulation, or substituting, for ink is a very difficult matter.

A slight inexactitude in viscosity, density, and surface tension (which determines how fine the bubbles can be from the ink, with a given amount of explusive force or similar force)... can make the ink system clog up.

I wouldn't advise you to try to reformulate ink.

As for dissolving it, rubbing alcohol or even whiskey will do... they are both solvent enough to do the job.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That fact is, that well sealed ink cartridges of my HP Office Jet 6700 dry out fairly quickly. That means that the thinner inside the cartridges manages to evaporate without much of an odor. Also the thinner does not attack the plastic of the cartridge. This lets me believe, that the thinner is likely Alcohol. The question is what % of alcohol. Do you have any idea?

I have no information on that point, to be quite honest.

This discussion on this page might be of use to you, though:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/can-i-refill-my-ink-jet-cartridge-with-water-or-alcohol.4044603/

I can't swear that it is authoritative but it is definitely better than nothing.

I hope the information I provided was of use in answer to your question.

If your question has been answered, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

(If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond. And I will advise you further if at all possible.)

Thanks.

And please have a good day.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You don't know what thinner is used in ink cartridges of HP Office Jet 6700 printers? I would suggest you find out, so we can do something about the quick drying out of ink cartridges. Let me know when you find out. In the mean time I will find out whether the ink is flammable or not.

Try not to light up too much of it, nor in any enclosed space (both explosion hazard if it is flammable, and the probably foul odor if it burns. Or possible poison emissions... unknown chemistry is not to be toyed with incautiously without consequence. It's a thought.)

I admit I don't know the formulation of inkjet ink for any manufacturer. If not, it's about time I learned, or tried to. I will seek such information, both in general and in specific to HP.

(But believe me: if I haven't learned the formulation yet, it's because it is an industrial secret. So it may take awhile, or it may not be information that is available.)

Warm water and alcohol both dissolve inkjet inks to some extent. Use of those for dissolving is definitely an established fact, and commonly known too.

I'll seek that information... good luck with your side of the investigation, meanwhile.

I have some news.

HP inkjet ink is mostly water.

Water.

There are fractions acknowledged in the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets, that have to disclose something about the components owing to environmental and/or material safety / worker protections regulations.)

These fractions are, for example:

water about 90 %

2-pyrrolidone about 10 or 15 % NOTE: Very irritant. Do not ingest or get on skin, may be flammable.

carbon black about 2 to 5 % NOTE: Possibly flammable or explosive. But, not in water solution. When dried, then powdered, with a bit of the other chemicals but not water, definitely flammable and/or explosive (rarely, in just the right conditions.)

isopropyl alcohol: about 2 % at most. NOTE Flammable, irritant, somewhat toxic.

This is authoritative. But is not information for your model: its 932 and 933 cartridges there is no MSDS about. But the above information is highly representative. Inkjet ink is pretty much water-soluble until it is dried, and always alcohol-soluble to some extent.

(As I said before.)

Material stated above is from MSDS from HP as follows:

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizenship/environment/productdata/Countries/us/op_q2361series_us_eng_v18.pdf

for ink of the Q2361 series. Black ink, specifically.

I hope this answers your question. If so, please rate my answer - a five-star rating would be appreciated! Thanks.

(I'm concerned about what you said about ink drying out... there may be circumstances, or environment local to the printer, that are conducive to that. If you want to tell me how your printer's immediate locality is, temperature, humidity, dust level, etc -wise, I will go into that aspect also, of preventing drying-up.)

- Additional information: I have found data on basic black ink composition for the HP Officejet 6700 - your model:

Cyclo Amide (proprietary) is included in a small percentage, instead of alcohol.

Otherwise, it's pretty much the same as what I previously described: mostly water, some carbon black, some 2-pyrrolidone, and that's about it.

Here is the MSDS for HP Officejet 6700 inkjet ink of the black color:

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizenship/environment/productdata/Countries/us/ij_cn053series_us_eng_v23.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It looks like water will do, however my printer is an HP Office Jet 6700, and that one requires a chip-resetter, which I don't have nor know how to procure. So it looks like I will have to buy a black only laser printer.

That is one solution. Laser printers don't 'dry out'.

Your Officejet won't dry out, if you are leaving it turned Off for long periods of several days or more, if you turn it On and just leave it, for at least overnight, for a day or a night, once every week. In that time, the printer automatically wastes a little ink eventually, to keep the ink cartridges from drying out. This may help, for that sort of 'drying out' situation, at much less expense than a new printer.

Also, running a 'Head Cleaning' or three may help if the cartridges are already dried up a bit.

Good luck, with whatever course you choose. Thanks - and a five-star rating would be appreciated!

Russell H., Printer and Office Tech