John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I am trying to hook up my parents old MG 8120 printer to my

Customer Question

Hi. I am trying to hook up my parents old MG 8120 printer to my laptop. My laptop doesn't have a CD rom so I downloaded the drivers online. 1- my yellow ink is empty and I haven't bought any yet. Am I unable to do anything until then? and 2- how do I set the device on my computer and my computer to the printer? My laptop isn't picking up the printer, but ive also not been able to set anything on the printer with the ink error
JA: What's the make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Pixma MG 8120 probably about 4 yrs? 5 maybe... I am not entirely sure
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC, windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: this is the first time I have ever done anything with the printer since I have had it
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I know of
Category: Printers
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

YOu mentioned you downloaded the drivers for the printer.......from where? Can you provide a link from where you downloaded the drivers please?

Some printers that old, may not have a Win 10 driver.

So i just want to check what you have.