Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

It said I was out of yellow ink so I replace just the yellow

Customer Question
cart. the machine wont...
it said I was out of yellow ink so I replace just the yellow cart. the machine wont accept that it has been replaced.
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: where do i fine that info?
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC windows 7
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: just the flashing window that said I need to replace yellow
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/10/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

What is the brand and model of your printer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Brother work smart series MFC-J4700W

Thank you,

and are you using genuine brother cartridges for the new one, or generic/refilled inks?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
genuine

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
still says cannot detect yellow cartridge
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you there?

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

Do you have another yellow cartridge you can try, either another new one, or even the old one (it would show as empty, but we can at least see if it is recognized)?

John, Computer Science Engineer