Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

The Printer says the black cartridge is either missing or

Customer Question

The Printer says the black cartridge is either missing or damaged. I just bought new yellow, blue, and red, plus Black cartridges, but the Printer still says the black cartridge is missing or damaged.What do I do now ?
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: HP Officejet 6500 As I have always done, I replaced cartridges with HP 920 cartridges that fit 6ooo,65oo,6500A, 7000, 7500, and 7500A HP Officejet Printers
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Dell Computer, Windows Vista
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Problem occured 2 days ago.When attempting to run a copy, print was almost imperceptible. Then on the next attempt, no print at all. The alert light has been flashing and the message says black cartridge is missing or damaged.,refer to Printer documentation.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Sorry I'm a bit unclear, did you actually replace the black cartridge with a new one as well?

Are they genuine HP inks, or generic/refilled ones?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
replaced with a new Black Cartridge purchased from Costco right after seeing message on Printer that Black Cartridge might be damaged.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Is that a HP cartridge though, or a costco brand cartridge (refill)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's an HP package,not aCostco refill
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's an HP package, not a Costco refill.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for confirming.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.