Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

We just printed something. came back to print something else

Customer Question
and the printer will not...
we just printed something. came back to print something else and the printer will not turn on
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: this is a printer, not a tv
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: mac OS Sierra
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: 5 minutes. We printed something from my husbands laptop, did not turn printer off and when i went back to print something from my desktop it was off and wont go on.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
11/7/2016
Technician: technicalcat,
 replied 1 year ago
technicalcat

Hello, and thank you for using this service.

Sorry you are having trouble. I will help you now.

What is the make(brand) and model of your printer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
pixma mx882
Technician: technicalcat,
 replied 1 year ago

OK. When you look at the printer itself (not the computer), is it completely dark/dead? If so, ensure it has power, and unplug the power cord, and then plug it back in. Let me know the results of this, and if the printer does anything , or if anything lights up. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is dark and we already plugged and unplugged from the power strip and other things on the pwer strip are working
Technician: technicalcat,
 replied 1 year ago

Please try this. Unplug the printer from power and if you have it connected with a USB cable to the computer, unplug that too.

Next, open the cover on the printer and carefully move/wiggle the printhead from side to side several times. Manually move the printhead at least an inch or so side to side along the track.

Plug the printer back in, and see if it powers on. Also, to be certain on power, please plug the printer directly into a wall socket, and not a power strip when you plug it back in.

Let me know the results of this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no it does not
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
go on
Technician: technicalcat,
 replied 1 year ago

Will opt your question out to other experts for review. Another expert will be with you soon.

Technician: djkanoko,
 replied 1 year ago
djkanoko

I would be glad to help. To get a clear understanding of a previous diagnosis, if you unplug the power to the printer for a few seconds, and then plug it back in, do you see any lights or indicators on the front of the printer to indicate it is receiving power? If not, if you press the power button, or press and hold the power button for a few seconds do you see any light or indicator that it is receiving power?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No on all
Technician: djkanoko,
 replied 1 year ago

OK, the next step I would try it check the power cord connection to the printer if it is detachable at the printer or if the power cord/adapter can be disconnected at any point. Make sure the connections are firm and secured the whole way. If any of the connections are loose, you may want to try carefully wiggling the connection back and forth until you see an indicator of power on the front display. If none of this testing leads to any indication of power, It's safe to assume the power adapter or printer is broken. It's possible it is only the adapter and could be easily replaced. Let me know if those tests fail, and maybe we can see if you have another compatible adapter in your home that you can use as a replacement.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is plugged in properly and there is no power cord adapter.
Technician: djkanoko,
 replied 1 year ago

I see. If there is no block or adapter along the length of the power cord from the wall to the printer, then that means the power converter inside the printer has failed. You could have the printer repaired, but considering the cost of a new printer, it may be more cost effective to just buy a new one. Double check the documentation that came with the printer, in case it is still under warranty and you can have it replaced for free.

djkanoko
djkanoko
djkanoko