Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I got a new modem/router and now the printer isn't wireless

Customer Question
anymore. JA: What's the exact make...
I got a new modem/router and now the printer isn't wireless anymore.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: HP Deskjet 3054 and it is about 5 or 6 years old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac 10.10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The printer was working wired to a desktop computer and wireless from a laptop yesterday before I installed the new modem/router.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That when I try to run the wireless set up through the computer it tells me that the network doesn't except the password ***** all other devices had no problem with the password.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
11/7/2016
Technician: tyroneboman, Technician replied 1 year ago
tyroneboman
tyroneboman, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be glad to assist,

Follow these steps on your printer control panel please>

restore the printer network defaults.

On the printer menu> Go to setup, wireless, settings, restore defaults.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just did and now it says,"enable wireless"

okay, there should be a wireless button on the printers front panel. If not go back to wireless on the printer menu and select wireless set up and follow the steps.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The wireless light is blinking and the panel says "not connected"

okay, go back to wireless on the printer menu and select wireless set up and follow the steps it should ask you to select the wireless network name and then enter the wifi password.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It tells me that it is configuring the printer for wireless but earlier today it told me that it was the wrong password ***** it is not.

okay, after you reset the network settings it should accept it this time.

Please reply and let me know if you need any other assistance,

Also, please take a moment to rate my service by choosing one of the stars at the top then click submit.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It once again told me that the password ***** not accepted by the network.

okay, does it have any special symbols or capital letters?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No special symbols or capital letters. The diagnostics summary page says that the wireless router requires a WPA security passphrase and the that passphrase configured on the HP printer does not match exactly. It says to run the wireless network setup. Not sure I know how to do this.

do you have usb cable that you can connect to the printer and computer temporarily?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The printer is connected to the computer via a usb cable.

okay, the best option will be to use a screen connect remote session so that I can connect to your computer directly and troubleshoot this for you.

I will send you the info.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I almost think that it would be best to uninstall the printer and re-install it but the CD isn't for my operating system anymore. I might just have to use it wired only.

I can get it working wireless if you want.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would like the printer to have the ability to either print wireless or wired. It was working yesterday using the old modem/router. Could it be a router problem?

It is most likely the network settings.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I should look into the wifi settings on the router?

no, follow these steps please>

Prepare for installation

Before setting up the printer on your wireless network, gather the network name and password, and turn on your router, printer, and computer.

1. Gather the following items:

• Network name: The network name is ***** *****

• Security passphrase (WEP key or WPA)

• A computer that is connected to the wireless network

• Internet access (recommended): HP recommends broadband Internet access such as cable or DSL.

NOTE:

Internet access is not required for you to install your printer with a wireless connection. However, you do need Internet access to use Web Services, get printer updates, and to download drivers from the HP website.

• Your wireless-capable printer: Place it close to the computer during the installation procedure.

2. Make sure the printer, router, and computer are all turned on, and that the computer is connected to the same wireless network you want to connect the printer to.

3. Disconnect the USB cable if it is connected to the printer.

4. Optional: If you previously installed the software for a USB connection and now want to change to a wireless network connection, remove the USB installation before you continue.

1. Search Windows for your printer model name, then click the printer name in the list of results.

The printer software opens.

2. Click Utilities, then click Printer Setup & Software Selection.

3. Click Convert a USB connected printer to wireless or Connect a new printer depending on your version of Windows.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the connection. Once the printer has been set up on the wireless network, there is no need to continue with the steps in this document.

Step 2: Connect your wireless printer to a wireless network

Connect your printer to your wireless network using the following steps.

The printer software opens.

3. If you previously installed the software for a USB connection and now want to change to a wireless network connection, remove the USB installation before you continue

Step 3: Download and install the printer software

For the latest updates, HP recommends installing the most current version of the full feature printer software from the HP website.

NOTE:

As an alternative method to downloading the software, you can use the installation CD.

1. Turn on the printer.

2. If your printer is connected to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.

3. Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads.<<<<<CLICK THE BLUE LINK

4. If prompted, select a method to identify your printer model, and then follow the on-screen instructions to go to the download page.

5. Click Download next to the full feature driver (recommended), or click Basic Drivers for other driver options.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm using a MAC and when I open the Utilities for the HP it doesn't give me an option click on Printer Setup & Software Selection.

Follow these steps to download the current software from Apple Software Update. Repeat these steps to install the software on each computer that uses the HP printer wirelessly over the same network.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-deskjet-3050-all-in-one-printer-series-j610/4066450/model/5076226#Z7_3054ICK0K8UDA0AQC11TA930C7

1. Click the Apple menu (), and then click Software Update. Software Update checks for available updates and updates the database that your computer uses to determine available printer software.

2. Click Show Details, select any available software updates, and then click Install.

NOTE:

Install all available software updates for best printer performance and functionality.

3. Turn on the printer, and then make sure that it has paper in the tray and that it is in a ready state.

4. Make sure that the printer is connected to the wired network, or is connected to the USB port of a Time Capsule or AirPort Base Station.

5. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

6. Click Print & Scan, and then click the plus sign () in the lower left corner of the window.

7. Click Add Printer or Scanner for a full list of printers.

8. Under Name, click the name of your printer.

NOTE:

Make sure that the printer kind is Bonjour or Bonjour Multifunction.

9. Click the Use box, and then select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu.

10. Click Add to add the printer to the queue.

11. If you are prompted to install any additional software for your printer, click Install, and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It doesn't give me the Bonjour option

okay,

1. Click the Use box, and then select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu.

2. Click Add to add the printer to the queue.

3. If you are prompted to install any additional software for your printer, click Install, and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now I have two printers with the same name but it still shows as unconnected to the network.
Technician: Joel Kalman, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

I am sorry for the difficulties that you have been experiencing.

I am an expert in network connectivity issues, and I have a method for installing your printer drivers that is guaranteed to work.

I can give you detailed instructions interactively, whenever we are both online.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I 'm home and available

I have been quite busy tonight, but I am available now, or whenever you are.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How about Wednesday at 6 pm PST?

Okay. That is a good time for it, after the election. I have plans for the evening Wednesday, though. Can we do it any earlier?

IL may have plans for the evening. I am not sure about them at this point.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can be available from 4:30-10pm on Wednesday or Thursday from 4:30-10pm.

Okay. Let's do it Wednesday at 4:30 PM.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's 4:30pm PST, correct?

Correct. That is my time zone too.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Spectrum just informed me that the new modem/router they gave me doesn't support the security that the printer needs in order to be wireless. What do you suggest the security be set to? WPA2, WPA2-PSK (AES), or WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES)?
Currently, the router is set toWPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) but the printer can't connect this way.
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer