crash2199
crash2199, Technician
Experience:  5+ years as Tech
50836188

How do I select for a document to print on BOTH SIDES of the

Customer Question

How do I select for a document to print on BOTH SIDES of the paper?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: MFC-J4710DW
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: OS X El Capitian
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: No issue. I don't normally need to print both sides of the paper but want to now. I know it can as I accidentally did awhile back on another print out. I wasn't aware it COULD do this. I NEED it to now.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO. Just how do I select to print BOTH SIDES of the paper on a multi-page document. Not seeing it under General or advanced or anywhere to choose it.
Category: Printers
Expert:  crash2199 replied 10 months ago.

Hi!

1. Within the application you wish to print from choose the print option.
  2. In the Print dialog box, to the right of Copies check on Two-Sided check box.
  3. From the Application dropdown, choose Layout.
  4. Choose Long-edge binding or Short-edge binding in Two-Sided.

5. Some types of print media may need more drying time when using the 2-sided(duplex) feature. If you have problems with smudged 2-sided(duplex) prints or paper jams, you may configure the Advanced Duplex Settings:
    1. From the Application dropdown, choose Print Settings.
    2. Click Advanced.
    3. Click Advanced 2-sided Settings. You may choose one of the following settings from the dropdown menu:
      • Normal: Choose this option to print at normal speed, using a normal amount of ink.
      • 2-sided 1 (Slower print speed): Choose this option to print at a slower speed, using a normal amount of ink.
      • 2-sided 2 (Slower print speed & less ink): Choose this option to print the same speed as 2-sided 1, but using less ink.
  6. To save this preference for future 2-Sided(Duplex) printing:
    1. Choose Save As... or Save Current Settings as Preset... from the Presets dropdown box.
    2. Type a name for the Preset and click OK.
  7. Click PRINT. The document will print with the chose options.

If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 3 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.