John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have had an HP C4385 for years, and 2 weeks ago, I got

Customer Question

I have had an HP C4385 for years, and 2 weeks ago, I got message that print cartridges were not detected; after trying to clean contacts etc, I gave up. Tried to buy a new printer, but was told all new ones used only windows 10. Not true, but I decided to buy a used, excellent condition C4385 again, to use the existed supply of ink. Printer arrived today; set it up, with same cartridges, and now, the paper will not feed, for alignment, and then I tried copying something, but the paper will not feed. Just getting "out of paper". I also tried the cancel button before I tried the copy function. I looked inside the printer to see where the rollers are located in this printer....very hard to access them. I'm ready to return this printer, if they'll take it back. Frustrated Marti
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: HP C4385 All-in-One; This one is replacing the same exact printer that I purchased perhaps 8 years ago.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: HP laptop, MS Vista.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Sorry for delay, I almost lost the screen. As I had written above, I just received this printer today, as a replacement for my printer I had been using for years, the same C4385 model. However, two weeks ago, I kept getting a message that there was a problem with the ink cartridges, "not detected", or "not in correct slots", or cartridge missing". I cleaned them but to no avail. I decided to order a used, excellent condition HP C4385, which just arrived today. And after setting it up, I am now having the paper feed problem. Hope this answers your question.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Please explain : is there a charge for this?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the printer technician. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Meaning, that if the expert cannot solve the problem, I get the 5$ back, and anything I have to pay later? sorry, I'm not familiar with how this works,
Category: Printers
Expert:  technicalcat replied 10 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.

Sorry you are having trouble. I will help you now.

Does your printer appear to try to feed (pickup) the paper, but fail, or does it just do nothing but flash an error?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The printer "responds" only by making the noises ....the ink cartridges move, and you think the paper is about to move into the printer, but nothing happens. I have not even been able to try to print from my laptop (I haven't even connected the print cable, because as soon as I plugged in the printer, the display says it is going to print the alignment page. I then tried to copy, and the printer began scanning, and the display said "printing", but nothing was printed. I just tried the printer again, but this time, it said that a print cartridge(s) missing or not detected". How can you connect to the printer remotely? I suspect that I'm going to have to return this printer....
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just re-read my reply, and I realize that I DID connect the cable connecting my laptop to the printer. I haven't tried to set up the wireless connection; I always used the cable with the former printer. I am tempted to install a new HP black cartridge, which I have, but how would that help with the paper problem? One reason I opted for the used C4385, was the fact that I had cartridges, both black and color, both with ink in them, as well as the spare, larger black ink. Very frustrating.

I'm going to opt out to other experts that may have other ideas on this. thank you.