Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Paper jamming, I have checked to make sure nothing is stuck.

Customer Question
JA: What's the exact make...
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: about 6yrs old mp270
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: sorry printer is mp250 pc Toshiba, it has been working all of a sudden I'm having problem
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: tried to print a pic and only have printed. I just put ner ink in
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
11/3/2016
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Is the paper jamming in one place in the printer only, or always stopping at the same place within the printer?

And, has there been any change of paper type used, or major change of application software used to print with, or change of OS (upgrade of OS to next version, maybe?) involved?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing different. But paper starts to move then does get jammed on one side. I looked to see if anything was in there and nothing

Jamming by being pulled in on one side but not the other, could be owing to paper path blockage... be sure to peer deep into the printer in that region to make sure other debris or paper is not clogging or blocking the paper path on the side that doesn't feed in... or it could be owing to one roller, the one that doesn't feed, needing cleaning:

If the problem might possibly be owing to aging roller surfaces (for paper is fed into faxes and printers with rubber or plastic cylindrical rollers, that propel the sheet into or through the machine)... then you might need to clean the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not happening.

Remove all paper from the machine, unplug it, and open it so as to have access to the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not being done properly.

Take a clean high-quality lint-freerag cloth, moisten it with rubbing alcohol, and rub the rollers firmly all over their paper-contacting surfaces, three times over.

(If the rollers are hard to reach, there is another way to clean them... let me know if that is the case, and I will detail how to do the cleaning.)

Allow 5+ minutes for drying-off, then reload the paper, close up the machine where you opened it up, and then try again.

Let me know what you think, what you find out, and what happens, please. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can not get to the roller

OK. Is it the roller just inside where the blank paper is placed?

Or some other roller in some other part of the printer?

Either way, there is a way to clean it, I think. Let me know, please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The roller right where the paper is placed
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I give up
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You can't hardly get to it

There is a way...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thx but I'm done with messing with it tonight

Remove all paper from the printer.

Take care, for this can go awry rather easily. It is risky.

Take a thin piece of clean rag cloth.

Moisten it with rubbing alcohol.

Start a page printing in the printer, and allow the cloth to just feed into the roller that needs cleaning, then hold the cloth fast and don't let it feed further into the printer, since damage to the printer may result!

As I said, this is risky.

But, if the roller rubs against the alcohol-moistened sheet of thin cloth, held steadily despite being tugged into the printer, it will rub the roller clean.

So this is risky. If you undertake this cleaning procedure, all bets are off unless you either prevent it from feeding further into the printer, or pull the plug on the printer before it feeds farther into the printer than the paper pickup roller that needs to be cleaned.

John, Computer Science Engineer