John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have brother printer MFC-665CW that will not print. It was

Customer Question

I have brother printer MFC-665CW that will not print. It was giving a low ink message and each time I replaced the old ink cartridge, it displayed another low one until all were replaced. The message then informed me that it was out of paper (not so), but replenished anyway. Paper jam was next displayed, but not correct either. Constant message now is "unable to print 50. Do not know what to do next. Need help. Thanks.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Brother is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Brother exact model is MFC-665CW, serial # J6F734769 purchased 12/28/06.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Macbook pro. OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: We arrived at our winter home about 2 weeks ago. The printer had been shut down for 3 months, but seemed to work when put back online. Shortly thereafter the problem began. When the lid is raised, there is a spot of "red" ink on the left side near the spool.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this time. Thanks.
Category: Printers
Expert:  tyroneboman replied 9 months ago.

Hi ,

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

This sounds like the low ink sensor has failed.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What is the solution?

You can replace the sensor which will be expensive or you can try a method that requires tricking the system by placing a piece of tape over the sensors on the ink cartridges.

STEP 1

Open the ink cartridge cover, which faces the front of the printer on the right side.

STEP 2

Pull down on the release lever and lower the ink cartridge door.

STEP 3

Remove the ink cartridges that are reported empty by the MFC.

STEP 4

Look at the end of the ink cartridge that goes into the MFC. Locate the clear section where you can see the remaining ink in the cartridge.

STEP 5

Cut a piece of electrical tape to size so that it completely covers the ink sensor on each cartridge.

STEP 6

Secure the tape over the sensor on the cartridge. You can use a pen or pencil eraser to push on the tape and further secure it on the ink cartridge.

STEP 7

Push the ink cartridges you removed in Step 3 back into the MFC. Lift the levers beneath the cartridges until they lock into place.

STEP 8

Close the ink cartridge cover on the outside of the MFC by lifting up on it.

STEP 9

Press "2" on the MFC, if prompted. This tells the printer that the old cartridges were not replaced with brand new ones.

let me know how it goes please.