Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have an MFP M127fn multifunction printer. I moved recently

Customer Question
I have an MFP M127fn...
I have an MFP M127fn multifunction printer. I moved recently and may have connected cables incorrectly. The printer is able to send faxes, but can not receive them. Craig
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's an HP and is about four years old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I just tried to receive the first fax in the past few days, so the problem may have been there from the date I moved about three months ago. Prior to then, there was no problem.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
10/31/2016
Technician: tyroneboman, Technician replied 1 year ago
tyroneboman
tyroneboman, Technician

Hi ,

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

First, make sure your Brother machine in Fax/Tel Mode, follow these steps:

1. Press (FAX) to illuminate it.
  2. Press Menu and choose Fax > Setup Receive > Receive Mode.
  3. Choose Fax/Tel.
  4. Press OK.
  5. Press Stop/Exit key.

Your Brother machine's LCD will display the date, time, and "F/T."
  6. If that fails follow these steps please>

Follow the steps listed below to resolve the issue.

7. Verify your Brother machine has a dial tone. (Click here to see the details of how to verify that my Brother machine has a dial tone.)

• If there is dial tone, go to STEP 3.
    • If there is no dial tone, verify the telephone line cord is directly connected from the jack (socket) on the Brother machine (labeled "LINE" for some countries) to the wall telephone jack (socket).

• If you are using an analog telephone line and there are splitters, commshare devices, power strips or surge protectors between the wall telephone jack (socket) and the Brother machine, remove them. Removing these devices assists in determining if the issue is related to the device or the Brother machine.
      • If you are using a DSL or Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) telephone system, there can be multiple types of telephone line connections (modems, interface boxes, phone adapters, splitters, etc). However, a telephone line must be connected to the Brother machine's LINE jack (socket).

8. If there is still no dial tone, click here.
  9. Verify the receive mode is set correctly. (Click here to see how to verify the correct receive mode.)
  10. If you are using Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) (a technology that allows you to make telephone calls using a broadband Internet connection instead of a regular (or analog) phone line), review the information listed below. If you are not using VOIP continue to STEP 5.

Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) is not a marketed feature of your Brother machine, however there is a Compatibility setting available with this machine that may assist with sending and receiving faxes when using this service. Adjusting this setting lowers the baud rate (modem speed) and turns ECM (Error Correction Mode) Off. To adjust the Compatibility setting, follow the steps listed below.

1. Press Menu.
    2. Press the Up or Down arrow key to display Fax, and then press OK.
    3. Press the Up or Down arrow key to display Miscellaneous, and then press OK.
    4. Press the Up or Down arrow key to display Compatibility, and then press OK.
    5. Press the Up or Down arrow key to display Basic(for VoIP), and then press OK.
      NOTE: Basic reduces the modem speed to 9600 bps.
    6. Press Stop/Exit.

Although VOIP is not a marketed feature of this machine, Brother will continue to monitor customer requests for possible future products.

11. Test the print operation of the unit by printing the User Settings. To print the User Settings, press Menu and choose Print Reports> User Settings > Start. The User Settings should begin printing. If the User Settings prints successfully, continue to STEP 6. If the User Settings does not print, your unit may require service. contact Brother Customer Service from the "Contact Us" section.

12. If the unit is on a rollover system, connect the unit to the last line of the rollover pattern. You do not want your fax machine rolling over to another line.
  13. If you are using a DSL line, follow the steps listed below. If you are not using a DSL line, skip to STEP 8.
    NOTE: If you are unable to perform the steps listed below, contact your DSL provider for assistance.

1. Turn the DSL modem OFF or disconnect its power supply.
    2. Disconnect the DSL modem from the telephone line filter.
    3. Remove the filter from the WALL jack (socket).
    4. Connect the FAX machine to the WALL jack (socket).
    5. Test by contacting a person and have them send you a fax.

--OR--
      *only available in USA:
      You can utilize our automated Fax Test Sheet and Product Registration system.

If you have not completed and faxed your Fax Test Sheet provided with your product documentation, fill out the warranty registration information and fax it to 1-***-***-****. Make sure your station ID is programmed into your unit prior to sending the test sheet. Shortly after your Test Sheet is received by the system, it will automatically fax a confirmation sheet to the number programmed as the station ID.

If you have already registered your warranty, fax a blank piece of paper with the word "Test" printed on it and a confirmation sheet will still be sent to you. By utilizing the Fax Test Sheet and Product Registration system, it alleviates the need to contact an outside source to send you a test fax.

If the fax is sent successfully, you'll need to contact your DSL provider for assistance in resolving the interference from the DSL system. Be sure to verify with your DSL provider that you have the correct filters required when sending and receiving faxes using the DSL system.

If the issue continues, continue to STEP 8.
  14. Complete a test fax to your unit.
    1. First, adjust your ring delay setting. If the answer mode is set to Manual, do NOT adjust the ring delay setting and continue to STEP b. If the answer mode is set to Fax, Fax Only or Fax/Tel, reduce the ring delay to 1 (or 2 or 3 for Europe, Asia/Oceania regions) ring. If the answer mode is set to External TAD, reduce the number of rings programmed on your answering machine to 2 (or 3 or 4 for Europe, Asia/Oceania regions). This is to ensure the test fax is answered as fast as possible. The ring delay setting determines the number of times the unit rings before it answers.

To check the ring delay setting for the Brother machine, press Menu and choose Fax > Setup Receive > Ring Delay. Choose 01 (or 02 or 03 for Europe, Asia/Oceania). Press OK and Stop/Exit.

To adjust the number of rings programmed on your answering machine, use the user's guide for the device.
    2. Next, you can contact a person and have them send you a fax.

--OR--
      *only available in USA:
      You can utilize our automated Fax Test Sheet and Product Registration system. If you have not completed and faxed your Fax Test Sheet provided with your product documentation, fill out the warranty registration information and fax it to 1-***-***-****. Make sure your station ID is programmed into your unit prior to sending the test sheet. Shortly after your Test Sheet is received by the system, it will automatically fax a confirmation sheet to the number programmed as the station ID.

3. If you receive the test fax successfully, your unit is operating properly. Remember to reset your ring delay or answering machine setting. If receiving issues recur after the setting is reset, then something (i.e. a person or device answering the line) at your location is interfering with the fax reception before the machine has a chance to answer the fax. If you did not receive the fax, continue to STEP 9.
  15. Verify that senders are dialing the correct number and you are providing the sender with the correct fax number for your unit. If you have a second telephone number at your location or cell phone, you can test the number yourself. Dial your fax number from the second telephone number or cell phone as if you are sending a fax. If you hear ringing on the phone you are dialing from, verify if your Brother machine has a dial tone. If you hear a dial tone, this indicates there is an issue with the line or the telephone number and you will need to contact your local telephone company for assistance.
  16. Test the unit on another phone jack (socket) with a different telephone number to verify there is no issue with the current phone line. If the unit receives when connected to another line, you will need to contact your local telephone company to service the line.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you there?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are no fax or menu buttons.

yes.

okay, sorry about that. I gave you the information for the wrong model number. Please give me a moment to correct this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Your instructions don't seem to apply to this printer.
There is no fax, menu, or stop button.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you there??

sorry about that. I gave you the information for the wrong model number. Try these steps please>

1. Select the Setup (wrench) button (circled in red) at the top of your touchscreen.
  2. Right arrow over to Fax Setup. Touch Fax Setup to access that menu.
  3. Under Fax Setup right arrow to Basic Fax Setup and select it.
  4. Right arrow to Answer Mode and select it
  5. Under Answer Mode ensure your machine is set to 'Automatic'
  6. Right arrow to Rings to Answer. Select Rings to Answer and set this to two Rings to Answer.
  7. Right arrow to Distinctive Ring. Touch Distinctive Ring to access it.
  8. Ensure Distinctive Ring is set to 'All Rings'
  9. Select the Return Arrow in the bottom left hand corner and then right arrow over to Advanced Fax Setup. Touch Advanced Fax Setup to access this menu
  10. Right arrow to Fax Speed. Select Fax Speed to access this menu. Ensure Fax Speed is set to Medium (V.17)
  11. Select the Return Arrow in the bottom left again.
  12. Right arrow to Services. Select Services to access this menu
  13. Select Fax Services
  14. Right arrow to Error Correction. Select this and ensure this feature is OFF.

Once these settings are adjusted, try to receive a fax again to ensure that your fax receiving issue has been resolved. If you notice that your machine attempts to pick up the fax but fails with a 'communication error' please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Your instructions are very complicated and the LED screen does not illuminate
making it nearly impossible to follow any detailed procedures.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think you are there. It looks like you dropped this call.
I will try to get another technician.

okay, I am here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am waiting....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The recommendations seem to be intended for a different printer.
My printer doesn't have the buttons for fax, menu, or stop
and the LED screen is almost impossible to read.
I'll wait another two minutes for a response.
If I can't reach you, I'll request a refund.

Try these steps please>

13. Select Fax Services
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got your instructions. Are you there?

yes,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can not read the LED screen

okay, unfortunately that is the only way to check the settings.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just found the fax set up page
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is not possible to "touch fax setup"

Under Fax Setup right arrow to Basic Fax Setup and select it.

Right arrow to Answer Mode and select it

Under Answer Mode ensure your machine is set to 'Automatic'

press the right Arrow then select ok.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Basic fax setup is not an option.
You can select either "fax send menu" or "fax receive menu".
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Under "FAX SETUP", you have the options of:
"Fax receive setup" or "Fax send setup".
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is nothing labeled "basic fax setup" or "answer mode".
Is it possible that these instructions are for a slightly different model?
John, Computer Science Engineer