John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have tried everything I know to get my 490 series to

Customer Question

Hi Pearl... I have tried everything I know to get my 490 series to print. I have reinstalled it, I've cleaned it and yes., I have connected it to the printer probably 10 times in 2 days. I do not lose the connection.. I've done it out of frustration. The only thing I can think is that I have the exact one in another house and the laptop is confused. hat doe you suggest?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Its less than a year old and its a MX492.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac El Capitan
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing. I moved down to FL from PA & it has not worked...
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Cant think of anything!!!!!
Category: Printers
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-khj2d1o2- replied 11 months ago.

Hi.

Your theory about "confused" is an interesting one. Typically, the printer profiles ("Choose printer") feature exactly one of each type. Although it's certainly not unreasonable to have several printers of the precise make and model, it does NOT strain credulity to think that an off-the-shelf application could readily become confused by "Brand X, Model Y, #1" and "Brand X, Model Y, #2".

THAT HAVING BEEN SAID, if you have TWO printers of the same make and model, they should BOTH have been INDIVIDUALLY installed, and they both have different MAC addresses, so they should show up as TWO items in the "choose printers" dialogue in whichever application you're printing from. If you did NOT specifically install the second such printer and just relied upon "It's the same one," you are at least partially responsible for mixing up your computer, which only has limited intellect, anyway. (Actually, it has NO intellect.)