Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a Canon MG5420 printer. Changed an ink cartridge

Customer Question

I have a Canon MG5420 printer. Changed an ink cartridge multiple times same as used before and keep getting error code wrong print cartridge.
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: No. This is first time. It's around 23 months old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Windows 7. The error comes up on the printer. It shows the print jobs on the computer.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Said Ink low in two cartridges so I canged on and it worked fine. Then I changed the other one and got the error code. I have been using generic cartridges since bought it. I even reordered from list of matching cartridges and still same results.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Appreciate that !
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Lets focus on the most recent cartridge you changed when you received this error.

Remove that cartridge, then we need to clean the electical contacts on the cartridges, and also clean the electrical contacts inside the printer that read that specific cartridge.

In this image, you can see the electrical contact on the bottom of the cartridge.

http://thumbs.picclick.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/z/DzEAAOSwZ1lWeLdE/$/12PK-PGI-250XL-CLI-251XL-Ink-SET-Chip-For-Canon-_1.jpg

You want to clean it with a lint free cloth and a drop or two of windex, or rubbing alcohol. Or warm water if thats all you have. Clean it, and dry it.

Also, theres a contact inside the machine that reads the electrical contact you see on the cartridge, clean that too.

Then, unplug the machine from power and hold the power button while you plug the machine back in.

Then, insert the ink cartridge when it asks.. Do you still get the error or is all well now?

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied. If you do not submit a rating, I am in no way credited for my time. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The error screen is coming up on the printer not the computer. The computer shows the printer connected by WI-Fi and lists the unprinted works ready for printing.
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Right.. I assumed the error was on the printer, and if you read the steps I sent you they focus entirely on the printer.. I didnt mention the computer as the computer cant help us fix the issue!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please refund any charges !