Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I can not print from the MX510 series printer or off the

Customer Question

I can not print from the MX510 series printer or off the computer. Just started yesterday. Can you help?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Yes, one moment please. Many numbers on the back of the printer. But bought from a Stples outlet in Toronto on or about 2013.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: where wud I find this info?
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: a few days and it suddenly beeped when attempting to print anything, as usual.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm completely in the dark about what questions or answers I should be giving.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Are you getting any error messages?
Is it going through the usual motions, but outputting a blank page?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Error message reads no paper in front end, when there is. The paper is not fed into the printer at all, just a beep.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for checking,

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then remove the input paper supply.

Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
For the 52$ I was under the impression you would be taking over my computer and checking and correcting any issue(s). Am I mistaken?
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Yes you are, you had paid for only the chat at this point.

There is a remote option available, but even if you requested it I would not accept, this is a printer hardware issue, it is not possible to address that remotely.

I can help you by phone if you prefer me to guide you through that way, but this requires working on the printer that can't be done remotely.