Electronics Pete
Electronics Pete, Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing; Large format and multifunction printer expert
30970729

I have two HP Officejet pro 8600 printers. The Magenta is

Customer Question

I have two HP Officejet pro 8600 printers. The Magenta is not working in wither one. I get a message
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your OfficeJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 1.5 years old.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: CN365DXGYB05KC
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: 3 days
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just some hlp to get it to print
Category: Printers
Expert:  tyroneboman replied 12 months ago.

Hi ,

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

What is the error message that you get?

You can reply to me here by typing in the box below please.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The cartridges listed above appear to be missing or damaged. magenta.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
You still there?

Yes, sorry for the delay.

Have you tried a new HP 951 ink cartridge?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Try this and power off the printer then back on.

1. Remove the cartridge from the carriage.
  2. Gently bend the tab away from the cartridge.

Be careful not to bend the tab out more than 1.27 cm (0.5 in). Moving the tab too far might damage the cartridge or cause the tab to break off.

3. Reinsert the cartridge into the carriage until it snaps into place, and then close the cartridge access door.

4. Check the printer control panel for any error messages.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Okay. Give me 15 minutes. Lunch break.

no problem, take your time.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Randy, what tab are your referring to? The cartridge is a 951 office jet Magenta.

sorry for the delay,

Here is an image for reference>

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry, but there is no tab, it's a soldier molded piece of black plastic.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
it's a solid piece of black molded plastic.

okay, remove and then reinsert the cartridge and make sure it snaps in place.

Then follow these steps to reset the printer.

1. Press the Power button to turn on the product.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.

3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

4. Wait at least 60 seconds.

5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.

7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

8. Check the printer control panel for any error messages.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
nope, didn't work.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
This is all over the internet. Are you aware of this?HP recently sent out an automatic update which occurs as soon as the drivers are installed (see below) and the printer is connected to a computer which is on the Internet.The problem is that all ink cartridges with the now outdated microchip will not work, whether they are made by HP or another company.Unfortunately, companies like this seem to think it's okay to change the firmware on an otherwise serviceable printer, before they have created a supply of ink cartridges with the new microchip which the printer needs to see before it will accept the ink cartridge.Here's an extract of a reply I sent today, to another user with the same problem.

no, I have not seen any that did not accept genuine HP cartridges.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Well, I have brand new cartridges, but I noticed the chip is bigger on the newer cartridges. These are causing problems.
Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 12 months ago.

Hello, Pete another expert here...

Try running a few print head cleaning cycles using the printer's service menu.

If that doesn't help then some disassembly and manual cleaning will be required.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hello, What kind of disassembly in manual cleaning work needs to be done?

You will need to remove the printhead from the printer and clean it in an alcohol solution.

This can be tricky and quite messy.

Given the low cost of new printes ($50) they are usually just replaced.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Pete, I don't think you read my previous email. it appears that HP has decided to change the chip and software leaving all users in the air. Basically, you guys should of know this. sounds like you don't have a good answer. My rating will be 1 to 2 stars, unless you can come up with a better solution then buy a new printer.

Do you have a link to what you are referring to?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
use google Pete. Basically, no one at your organization can fix what HP as done, they have undermined all of their customers and are forcing them to buy new printers and print cartridges that can't be refilled by anyone. But, by you guys accepting $25 form millions of customers under the impression you guys can possibly save them from this inconvenience is a farce, because you can't. But you can definitely keep collecting $26 from customers we will trust you once but never again once they find out what HP did. In this case HP sold me tow new printers at a deal, I have them of it but my hands were tied. You would have save me and other customers a whole lot of time (time is money ) by just being honest with me the first time. Anyway, I don't think I'll sue just answer again.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
After spell check- Use google Pete. Basically, no one at your organization can fix what HP has done, they have undermined all of their customers and are forcing them to buy new printers and print cartridges that can't be refilled by anyone. But, by you guys accepting $25 from millions of customers under the impression you guys can possibly save them from this inconvenience is a farce, because you can't. But you can definitely keep collecting $26 from customers, we will trust you once but never again once they find out what HP did. In this case HP sold me two new printers at a deal, I had to buy them, my hands were tied. But, you would have saved me and other customers a whole lot of time (time is money ) by just being honest with me the first time. Anyway, I don't think I'll use just answer again.

Randy, I am being honest with you, and I am very disappointed that you would think otherwise.

I am a user of this site just like you.

I asked for a link but you haven't provided one because either you have mis-read it or you have read some incorrect information somewhere.

HP have not done anything to stop their printers from working. They have NOT changed a chip to make the ink cartridges incompatible.

HP still make genuine compatible ink cartridges for the PRO 8600 printers.

Best,

Pete.