John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

G-3 series printer The cyan cartridge blinked, bands in the

Customer Question

G-3 series printer
The cyan cartridge blinked, bands in the image appeared so I replaced the cyan cartridge
At first it printed ok
Although there was faint banding
Then the mostly grey image printed greenish with much horizontal banding
???
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 12 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How old is the printer, please?

What color was the 'mostly grey' image printed supposed to be, when it turned out greenish with banding?

And, was the banding that of greenish over the right color (grey at a guess?) or was it banding of the right color with greenish exceptions?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
5 yrs old
The image was shades of grey
The whole image turned greenish
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
With bands
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I can provide images

Thank you for posting that.

I am inspecting the image...

That makes the problem clearer - the yellow areas show no sign of any problem.

Are you using Brother OEM-made cartridges, please, or are they refills/remanufactured/'compatible' cartridges?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Brother OEM of course
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Greenish
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Original

Good.

If the printer has suffered a period of disuse (or, since the yellow is relatively trouble-free, of disuse of other ink colors than the yellow ink), then that can account for the problem, too.

I advise doing several cleaning cycles (which can be ordered from your printer's Maintenance menu, whether on the computer or on the printer itself), with pauses of at least 20 minutes of complete disuse of the printer while it is still powered On between cleaning cycles.

Then after that, print another Standard Check Pattern, and see if it has improved.

Let me know how that goes, or if you need any instructions on the process.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The printer is used every day
Did power clean multiple times

You may have a defective printhead, then, and it may need to be replaced. But be warned: this could be other problems in the inking system.

Also... what are you printing these images on? if you have changed the material you print upon recently, that could possibly have something to do with this problem.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Printing on white t shirts
So you think the print head suddenly became defective right after a cartridge change?

Was a cartridge change immediately preceding to the appearance of this problem?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
After a few good prints

What cartridges did you change, what colors, before the prints started going bad after a few good printouts?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Cyan

But the Black color, and the Magenta, are both clearly troubled... and close inspections reveals a little temporary trouble on one edge of the Yellow block also.

I advise considering the black and the magenta cartridges suspect. And the cyan perhaps also.

Try replacing just one of the black or the magenta. Do at least two Quality Prints, to see if the missing/banding in the color you replace, goes away.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I don't want to pay for that answer
Telling me to try switching out cartridges is not really a hi tech answer

If it works, what of it being not high-tech? Don't you want the printer to print properly?

I would like to ask: What sort of high-tech answer would you prefer, please? a procedure to cure the problem without replacing cartridges? if so, that may take some effort and some time, if it even works, I must warn you.

But if you need such a procedure, I will provide one.