Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Trying to scan from an MX870 into a Toshiba Satellite. Where

Customer Question
Trying to scan from an...
Trying to scan from an MX870 into a Toshiba Satellite. Where do I put the original document and which buttons do I push? Have tried every logical thing. The computer does recognize the printer, so that is not the problem
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Canon MX870 maybe three years old? (It was a gift so don't know for sure.)
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Have tried with the document directly on the glass and also in the top tray (with the fold out extension). Not sure which is right. Then, on the printer,pressed scan button, OK, save/forward to PC, OK.Local USB, OK,...and then it goes back to original save/forward screen. Also tried doing it through the computer. Searched for scan and found a picture the previous owner had scanned. Then pressed "new scan" and changed to "document"...then I pressed whatever key it said to press next, but nothinghappned.
JA: Anything else you want the camera expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no...just want to do this fast...very frustrating!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
10/23/2016
Technician: Tech_Buddy,
 replied 1 year ago
Tech_Buddy

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

Technician: Tech_Buddy,
 replied 1 year ago

1. Place single paper face down on the glass. Put the top of the sheet face
down, towards the left corner, where you see the white arrow. Multiple
sheets of papers go into tray, face up.
2. Log into the printer/copier.
3. Locate the slot on printer to connect your USB into, front or side of
machine. After a few seconds, Found USB Device appears on the tap panel
at the bottom.
4. User Information details appears.
5. Press Scan on key pad. Look for Found USB Device at bottom of tap
screen.
6. Tap USB on panel.
7. A Scan To USB window appears. Tap the File button to rename the file.
Tap backspace will remove pre filled in File Name, then using the
typewriter keys, give it a name. Choose Multiple, which is the default
setting (which is to scan multiple pages to one file) or Single (which is a
separate email for each page) & leave File format at PDF (most common).
Tap OK. Tap Preview (recommended) if you want to see it after it is
scanned. Press the blue Scan button to start scanning. It is very, very quiet.
8. When you are finished scanning, tap Job Finish.
9. Press the Access key once or Function Clear button twice on key pad
twice, or let it time out (45 seconds).

Tip: To Scan in color, tap on Scan Settings and under the Color Mode, tap
Auto Color. Remember this will make the file large in size. Also if you
have a lot of pages to copy you might want to change the dpi to 100, under
Scan Settings, then Resolution.

Technician: Tech_Buddy,
 replied 1 year ago

Let me know if this helped you to get your work done. Feel free to let me know if you have any issues while trying above steps.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I still don't understand. sorry. When you say log into the printer, do you mean turn the printer on? Also, the printer is attached to the notebook....is it correct that the notebook is the USB in this case? Assuming this is correct so far, then I tap Scan on the printer...and the window does not change. It says PC Local USB Doc. type auto scan save/forward, I scan settings Where do I do step 6..."tap USB on panel"?
Technician: Tech_Buddy,
 replied 1 year ago

No, USB is the removable device here .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
now this isn't letting me send the above message to you. I am not happy
Technician: Tech_Buddy,
 replied 1 year ago

Which message you are not able to send. Try sending it again .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am really confused now. I don't want to scan to a USB I need to scan a document directly into my computer (Toshiba notebook). These directions need to be a lot clearer!
Technician: Tech_Buddy,
 replied 1 year ago

In your question you mentioned about USB so though you are looking to scan it to USB. Just a min. I will get back to you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK are you there? I'mnot getting a message that you are typing or anything
Technician: Tech_Buddy,
 replied 1 year ago

Quite strange.What is the last message which you received from me ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
NOW I got the message where you said you'd get back to me. This should be so simple...just want to scan from the printer into my PC ..but I'm running out of time!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have to go away for tenminutes, but please ssend the answer ASAP. Thank you
Technician: Tech_Buddy,
 replied 1 year ago
  1. Select “Start” > “Programs” > “Canon Utilities” > “MP Navigator EX” > “MP Navigator EX“.
  2. Select “Photos/Documents“.
  3. Open the top of the scanner and place the document you wish to scan on the glass.
  4. Set preferences on the screen as needed. Select the “Scan” button when ready.
  5. The Printer should start the scanning process. When it’s finished, select “Save” to save the document(s) as a JPEG, or select “Save as PDF” to save it in PDF format.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I go to Canon utilities and click, my only choice is Ij network took and then it looks for my printer and says it's there
Technician: Tech_Buddy,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no word "took" in the above my typo. Last chance here. If this isn't good, have to cancel...no more time
Technician: Tech_Buddy,
 replied 1 year ago

I think I should opt out. Other expert will contact you.

Thank you !!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, thanks. I don't have more time. Please just ask them to cancel my "subscription." If I have to pay the $5 that's ok, but I DO NOT wantto pay more than that. Thank you.
John, Computer Science Engineer