John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

We bought a new router and can't get it to connect

Customer Question

We bought a new router and can't get it to connect wirelessly with the XP-620 printer. It works with the TV and cell phone but will not connect with the printer. We have deleted the printer and software multiple times and reloaded from the disc. No luck.
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: About two years old.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Dell PC Windows 10. The disc does not list Windows 10 but it worked with our previous router.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: My roommate has followed all of the instructions after loading the disc. It gets all the way to the end and it says "enter the password". Jack enters the password ***** then it says connection failed.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. What's the model of your new router?

To confirm, you've gone to Wi-Fi setup wizard on the printer's screen, and could not connect it to the new router's wi-fi/ wireless network name. Does your wireless/wi-fi password/key have any number / special character / uppercase letter? If yes, are you able to enter the exact password ***** the printer's screen?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we are able to enter the exact password ***** the printer's screen

Please turn off the printer, then disconnect power cord from it for a minute, then turn it back on, then try entering the password ***** (it is case-sensitive.)

What's the model of your new router?

Please let me know. Thank you,

Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My roommate managed to figure out what was wrong (it was defaulting to an old printer). He fixed it, so the printer is working fine now.

Great. By the way, it seems there were two issues. Even though the default printer issue was fixed, it would still not work since you said previously that after loading the printer's disc, it got all the way to the end and it asked to "enter the password", then you entered the password ***** then it said Connection failed, and it also failed when you entered the wireless password ***** the Wi-Fi Setup Wizard on the printer's screen. So I think you resolved the printing issue by fixing both problems: 1.) You set to the default printer to the correct one, and 2.) Somehow you got the password ***** work on the printer.

- Also, I was waiting for your response yesterday, so I could help you quickly, but I'm glad you got it working now.

- Do you need help with any other computer question / issue today?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you for the update.