Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I purchased a Canon Maxify MB 2320 in May of this year. I

just got a signal that...
I purchased a Canon Maxify MB 2320 in May of this year. I just got a signal that the yellow cartridge was ready to be replaced. I had purchased replacements from the Canon display at Staples and have been using them regularly without any problem. I opened the access door and as usual, the carriage presented the yellow cartridge. I pushed up on the blue lever and the cartridge released. I took the yellow one out and inserted the new one and closed the access door. A message came on telling me (support code 1660) that my ink tank "cannot be recognized." I reopened the access door and pushed on the yellow cartridge to see if possibly I had not inserted it tightly enough. Nothing happened - it appeared to be in okay. I then tried to work the blue lever and take the cartridge out and try to reinsert it, and it will not let me remove it - the lever moves up and down but there is no "click" and he cartridge remains in place but will not work. The cartridge is a PGI-1200, yellow. The old one I removed says it is a "Y Std 11060 08V14. I've tried wiggling the cartridge up and down with my finger but nothing seems to loosen it up. I'm nearly disgusted enough with it take it out in the yard and try to loosen it with a few shots from a .38 caliber revolver!
10/19/2016
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Hi Earl,

I just want to confirm that the latest yellow cartridge you put in was indeed a genuine canon one, and not a generic/refilled type?

Are you able to pry the current yellow cartridge out?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I bought a value pack of 4 ink tanks, one cyan, one magenta, one yellow and one black - it says Canon Maxify 1200 on the package, so they are genuine Canons.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no, I have been unable to pry it out. I have not used any type of a tool, because I was afraid I might damage something.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ARE YOU STILL THERE, NATHAN?

Yes I'm here, sorry the multiple messages can get lost/delayed.

Thank you for confirming,

we will need to get the cartridge out, it could be in upside down or a defective cartridge.

It will need to come out, so go ahead and try grasping it with needle nose pliers or a tweezers and give it a pull.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, will get a tool and try. It is definitely not in upside down - the label matches all the others.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was able to get it out with needle-nose pliers and a couple of screwdrivers. What now?

Great, now do you have another new yellow, or perhaps one of the old ones, that you can replace it with?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the old one that I took out.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have just replaced it with the old one;

Lets put that in, but first take a peek in the ink slot to make sure there is no debris in there.

Any errors after putting it in?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No problem putting it in and getting it to click in place, but I just tried the blue lever to see if I could remove it again, and it does not release, so I have closed the cover and it is doing its interminable grunting and groaning act and the ON button is flashing on and off. Now it has stopped grunting and groaning and the red support code 1755 shows on the screen and the text says the ink has run out and the printer cannot continue printing (it had some pending print jobs) under the current ink out condition.

Do you see anything physically wrong with the new yellow cartridge? Scratches, bits of plastic protruding, etc?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing. I am just trying to install the new one again. It has clicked in place, the grunting and groaning is going on, and it says it is processing., Whoops - now it says the ink may have run out (support code 1600) and replacing the yellow ink tank is recommended. Should I try to remove the cartridge again?

Do the other cartridges insert/remove freely?

Yes take it out once more to see if it moves.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now it is calling for a new Magenta tank and the Magenta tank has presented itself when I opened the cover.

Okay do you have one to put in?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The old Magenta pops right out just as it should. Stand by....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is weird. I just looked at the numbers on the back of the Magenta and the old one says M STD 1106B 29F38 and the new one says 1106C 16S52. They appear to be the same size and shape. The clerk at Staples told me this package contained the proper ink tanks for my MB 2320 and the package says it is for a Canon MB2320 or 2020- mine is a 2320.

Thanks.

It is sounding like there is a physical defect in the yellow slot.

The cartridges are the same physical size, the difference is in the capacity, one is regular and the other is an extra capacity, so just has more ink inside it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just popped it in and it seemed to click in place. Now the grunting and groaning is going on again, along with the Processing - please use the back button to continue with the device operation.

Does it sound like a grinding, clicking, or squealing sound?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
More like a whirring sound, interspersed with occasional clicks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now it is printing what was in the printer queue.

Okay those are relatively normal, it is the purge pump,

does the print quality look ok?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It looks normal and what I am printing is something with multi-colors.

Okay the issue is hopefully resolved then if you are getting acceptable print quality and no further errors. It is possible there is some damage or obstruction to the head, but there was likely just something in there to begin with that caused the yellow to not work quite right.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, ***** ***** Maxify 2320 is the most maddening piece of crap I have ever had! Often it will not print when I send something to it, and I will give up in despair and go to bed, and when I wake up, boot up the computer and turn the printer on in the morning, it will suddenly spit out what I sent to it the night before. I envy our patience in being a Canon specialist!Earl
Nathan, Engineer