Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

CANON MF8580 - I am experiencing 2 problems, 1) the fax was

Customer Question

CANON MF8580 - I am experiencing 2 problems, 1) the fax was working fine, then it wouldn't get a dial tone - no faxes in or out. 2) I have always had an extension phone connected to the machine and have continued to be able to receive and make phone calls using that phone. Can you help?
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I purchased it in late 2013.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Windows 10 - no this just started.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I have no idea. I've always used it the same way, faxes, scanning, printing, copying.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I love the unit.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the extension phone continues to get a dial tone, dial out, make calls, and receive calls, then your phone system and your cables are obviously in good shape.

The faxing electronics in your Canon machine - not so much. It's probably 'broken', simply.

One thing to try is, to check that the phone line goes into the 'L' or Line jack on the Canon, since the Canon won't work as a fax if it is connected some other way.

After checking on that, though, I would say that, after unplugging the Canon machine for at least 1 hour to rest and reset, if it still does not work, and if there has been no change in your phone service (esp. from 'landline' to 'digital' phone service, which often has problems with the use of fax machines) then you would have to conclude that your Canon machine's faxing electronics have been blown out (possibly by a surge on the line, e.g. from a local thunderstorm) or have 'broken' otherwise.

I'm sorry to have to come to this conclusion, but it seems inevitable.