Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

The fax set up went o.k. and diagnostic test says it is o.

The fax set up went o.k. and diagnostic test says it is o. k. but when I run it elsewhere it says error code 550 and says there is a problem. How do I get this fixed so the 550 code is happy?

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What is your phone line service, please? that could have something to do with the problem.

Also, is the Epson printer new, or is it Used/old ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Phone service is with Verizon. I bought the printer new about 8 months ago as my old one was showing its age. I got it out of the box about 8-10 days ago.

Is it Verizon FIOS (with phone service included), or is it Verizon ordinary-phone-line service?

(Or could it be Verizon DSL/ADSL service? if so, that makes a difference.)

Let me know, please.

Has the printer ever faxed OK with the current Verizon service?

Are there any other devices on the same phone line?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No to both questions.

Is your phone line service the Verizon FIOS (with phone service included), or is it Verizon ordinary-phone-line service?

Let me know, please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Verizon DSL is what I think it is, you cant get fios in this hi-rise.

OK, good.

Do you have a 'DSL filter' in the phone line between the fax and the DSL modem?

That is necessary, for faxing in and faxing out to work. It filters out the high-frequency signal that the DSL internet is transmitted on, which otherwise would confound the faxing circuitry in your fax machine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there is a filter. The network connection report says ,in part,"network is working correct and also "a router/access point channel conflict has been detected. If you have any problems printing or scanning improve your wireless network environment"
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where do we stand on this? I replied yesterday with a little more info this morning, I have not heard anything.

I'm here (I was somewhat sick this a.m. or I would have responded sooner, I assure you.)

Is the DSL filter oriented this way:

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is it possible that the filter is too old? It is at least 10 years old.

Try a new filter!

It's always possible for filters to go bad. They have no moving parts whatever (except the flexing of the cord perhaps) but, they do go bad eventually.

A new filter may be just the change needed to get the faxing working completely again.

Let me know how it goes, please. Thanks!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had no luck with getting a DSL filter with verizon and staples.Did you notice my remark yesterday re the network connection report that mentions
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
a router/access point channel conflict?

Channel conflict means a channel choice for the WiFi. It has nothing to do with your fax problem, I am quite certain.

As for a DSL filter... usually in the kit a DSL service provider gives you, there are three or four of them. Look for that kit-bag, probably a plastic zip-lock type bag, in your closet, attic, the box the DSL modem came in, etc. That's where you can find a spare!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The box from verizon is under my computer desk and I had already looked for one before my memo to you.The guy at Staples this morning said the filter would have not have anything to do with the fax anyhow.I have given this about as much time as I think is justified, unless you have something else I think I will do without the fax or find somebody local to come by.The 23 dollars or whatever is ok and you are probably regretting this anyhow.