Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics engineer with 7+ years of experience in repairing office equipments & printers
22727371

My printer says its out of paper even though there's plenty,

Customer Question

My printer says its out of paper even though there's plenty
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: HP Photosmart 7520 and it's 4 years old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Windows 8 I believe
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It's just doing it now. It worked maybe 2 nights ago
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  TheGeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

There are a number of things that can cause this problem. Let's start with the easiest first. Please remove all of the paper and start with a fresh batch, preferably from an unopened package. Insert a fair amount of paper 30-40 sheets. Make sure that you gently push the paper forward until you encounter resistance. Also, make sure that the paper guides are snug (without squishing paper) along the edges of the paper. Please try this and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says to refill paper tray. It just won't spool
Expert:  TheGeekGal replied 1 year ago.

I understand. Here's what HP has to say about this particular problem:

ollow these guidelines to help prevent paper feed issues:

• Make sure to push the paper tray into the product until it stops.

• Load at least 10 sheets of paper into the tray, but do not overload the tray.

• Do not push the paper too far into the tray.

• Load only one type of paper at a time into the tray.

• Use only clean unused paper in the tray.

• Store paper in a cool dry place.

• Reload paper that has been in the tray for a while. Avoid printing on paper that is dusty.

• Wait for the product to complete a print job or to display an 'Out of paper' message before reloading the tray.

Causes

Any of the following issues can cause paper feed issues:

• The paper tray is not pushed into the product until it stops.

• The paper tray is overloaded.

• The paper is curled.

• The print side or shiny side of the paper is not loaded face down in the tray.

• The paper width guides are too tight against the paper stack.

• The paper feed rollers are coated with dust.

• Debris such a as paper clips or bits of paper might have fallen into the paper path.

Please let me know if you still have a problem after you have tried all of these suggestions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing worked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I tried to use the photo tray, it pulled the paper then after a few seconds, sent it back into the tray.
Expert:  TheGeekGal replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry. I will opt out and open the question to other experts who may be able to help. Have a great day and thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer. I am another Expert and I will be assisting you today.

The most common and likely cause to this type of problem is either some foreign object/paper dust is stuck in the paper feed or printer, or the paper sensor in the feed tray has become dirty or defective.

Turn Off the printer, unplug it from the power as well as from computer completely.Then remove all paper from the paper feed unit and blow it out with compressed air a few times. With a flashlight look inside the paper feed to ensure there is nothing obstructing the paper feed mechanism down inside the printer where it is not easily seen.

Next, take moistened Q-tips and clean the rubber rollers in the automatic sheet feeder using it. Then blow some compressed air inside the printer as well to remove excess dust and to dry the rollers.

Holding the printer in both hands , turn it upside down and gently shake it for a few seconds to see if anything falls out of the paper feed area.

Then plug the printer back up and replace it with a fresh, small stack (about 5 pages) of paper.Then try to print again.

If still it doesn't helps then as a last resort you can try forcing a thick paper or fold a A4 piece of paper in half, and then by hand push it through the machine, hopefully this may push any objects out.

After that turn the printer OFF, when it is on, by unplugging it from the power source.
Then unplug it from the computer and leave it that way for 10 minutes. Then replace everything back.

Tell me how it goes!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did this already. Could you tell me if the rollers that are accessed through the back should roll? I tried the troubleshooting through HP and it appeared as though the small rollers on the metal rod should've moved upward as I cleaned them. They didn't though. I'm wondering if they're stuck...

Are you referring to the pressure rollers on the rear access doors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not the white plastic ones that are on the removable piece you open to access inside. I mean the ones that are inside the printer, I think there were 4 going across?

Yes, it should rotate.

Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth with water, and then squeeze any excess water from the cloth.
Press the cloth against the rollers and rotate them upwards with your fingers. Then apply some amount of pressure to remove any dust or dirt buildup.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's what I tried per HP's tips but the don't budge

Then you will have to replace the rollers.

I am sorry to give you a bad news. Your rollers have served you for 4 long years.

Is there anything else I can help you with?Please take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on one of the stars at the top > then submit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turns out it's not the rollers because I opened the back and watched them move when I hit print. Before doing this I was able to get them to move a click or two by hand but they don't move easy.