How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Russell H. Your Own Question
Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Category: Printers
Satisfied Customers: 10901
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
Type Your Printers Question Here...
Russell H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im getting a repetitive indention or watermark on the right

Customer Question

im getting a repetitive indention or watermark on the right side of paper
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: MFC-L8850CDW. It is about 2 years old.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Today
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How far apart are the indentations? if they repeat in a sort of pattern, or if they are just single indentations, the distance apart on the page will indicate the circumference (or distance around) of the rotating element in the printer that is causing the indentation.

That component will have to be either repositioned/re-seated (if it is simply a trifle out of place or out of adjustment) or in severer cases, will have to be replaced altogether.

It could be (without my seeing the indentations, or knowing their distance apart on the page) anything from the drum/developer/cartridge, to the fuser roller(s), down to a paper feed roller somewhere.

There are tests that can be done, to determine where in the printer the defective component is likeliest to be located. One of these is the 'half-way' test... would you like to try it? if the distance apart of the indentations is not sufficient to locate it, this would help a lot.

Let me know further details, and I will help you further toward a good solution. Thanks.

Related Printers Questions