Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

When I try to print, it will not and gives me the following

Customer Question

When I try to print, it will not and gives me the following message "problem with printer or ink". Turn printer off and then on. If problem persists, contact HP. The problem persists.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is an Office Pro 8600. I think it was purchased 2-3 years ago. I was in the hospital when it was set up.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: It is an Officejet Pro 8600. Windows 10.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It started about 2 weeks ago, maybe longer. I was using the printer -- working fine. I did change the ink cartridges sometime shortly before the problem started -- brand new HP cartridges.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's the only problem I am aware of.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?