Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have a Canon MX700 printer. When I print the test pattern

Customer Question
only the top half of...
I have a Canon MX700 printer. When I print the test pattern only the top half of the pattern prints. Also when I print the print alignment values nothing prints in column A or F. I've tried deep cleaning several times with no change. All ink cartridges are full.
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Never done this before. Approximately 7 years old.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: iMac running OS10 Yosemite
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Only recently. Printer was idle for several weeks.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
10/17/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try again going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2007 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.

Nathan, Engineer