Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

A piece of paper got stuck and suddenly it shut off. I

Customer Question

A piece of paper got stuck and suddenly it shut off. I removed the paper and it wouldn't turn on when I pushed the on button. I unplugged it at the printer outlet. Nothing. I plugged in into several different wall outlets and got a blue light on momentarily. Still won't work. Any suggestions before I buy a new one?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: No problem in the past. My printer is a Canon PixmaMG5320. TV?
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Dell PC and Windows
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Printer has been working fine until paper got caught about half way through the sheet.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can it be fixed?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2012 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet

wait 5 minutes

press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds

keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.