Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My DCP-J315W having problems replacing Yelloe

My DCP-J315W having problems replacing Yelloe cartridge...tells me 'cannot dtect'. Have just bought a new cartridge still no luck
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: DCP-J315W probably 6 years
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc with windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The printer told me to replace the cartrdige
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Hello David,

are you using genuine/oem brother ink, or generic/refilled cartridges?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The one I replaced because empty was genetic, then first replacement that was rejected as not detected was also same make of genetic...the one I am trying to use now is genuine. Sorry I had to leave to look after grandkids. Sorry for long break.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is it better if I buy a new Printer?? Trouble is I have just purchased 10 new ink cartridges (genuine from Inkjet Wholesale)

Thank you for checking,

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Do you need more help with this, David?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Tried the cleaning you suggested, bought new ink cartridges...but still did not overcome the problem.
My solution has been to purchase a new Printer as I couldn't do without a printer any longer. Now have a dud printer and a pack of new printer cartridges to get rid of! A bit costly but that's life. Now of course i need more new cartridges for my new Brother (MFC-J880DW); thanks for trying to help me recover my old loved printer!

Thank you for the update, David.

A new printer is what I would have recommended as well, these units are designed for a maximum service life of 3 years and are not worth repairing once the warranty has passed.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,