crash2199
crash2199, Technician
Experience:  5+ years as Tech
50836188

I get the paper jam message. I removed most of the paper

Customer Question

I get the paper jam message. I removed most of the paper jam, but a strip tore off. I am unable to see any paper anywhere, but still get the error message. Can I get into the printer to find the paper?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Canon pixma MP 490 and it is a few years old (7?)
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Windows 8 PC
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just today, I was trying to print a document and put new paper in, one sheet got stuck so the error message appeared. I removed the paper from the rear tray, but a strip approximately 1.5cm by 6cm tore off the leading edge. I am unable to see any sign of it.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so
Category: Printers
Expert:  crash2199 replied 10 months ago.

Hi!

Sometimes, the printer will just need to "reset" to remove the jam message.

Power off the printer

Unplug the printer from the wall outlet

Wait 1 minute

Plug the printer back in

Power on the printer

Do you still have the error message? If you continue to have the error, please take a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIYj2cMRg_w and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCv5sv9gXKM to look for the jams.

If the issue continues, please reply back otherwise if you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 3 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

I have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as 3 stars or more and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

Expert:  crash2199 replied 9 months ago.

I still have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as 3 stars or more and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.