John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a brand new canon mg5720 & as soon as I power it on

Customer Question

I have a brand new canon mg5720 & as soon as I power it on I'm receiving the support code 5011 message
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's brand new so I'm not sure
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I haven't done any of that year because I need to set up the printer before I can proceed to print anything
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Yet
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just removed all the plastic & plugged it in, then the message popped up from what I've read in searching online is that this is s scanner issue
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I would like to proceed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need more information
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I power it on the encoder reel barely moves so I'm sure it's an issues with that
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, have you tried going through the motion of installing the ink cartridges?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that part came after powering on should I try that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Meaning installing the ink cartridges
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Yes please. Actually its more on initiating mechanical action of allowing the ink cartridge mount/holder to slide out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me try that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually don't see a slot to insert the cartridges & I have the try flap down with the top lifted
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Perhaps the video HERE may shed insight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't even see that part inside my printer I'm not sure what's going on
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Then that would be the issue as it should automatically slide out to expose the slots where the ink cartridges may be installed.

Can you please try "manually assisting" the ink cartridge mount to slide from the right towards the middle?