Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

5011 error. I have unplugged the cord from the machine and

Customer Question
plugged it back in. Still...
5011 error. I have unplugged the cord from the machine and plugged it back in. Still showing the error.
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: It is 8 months old. Used one time. MG5500
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I haven't even tried to print today...and I was planning on just using the scanner.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I turned it on for the first time in months.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it...I checked the ink and it all seemed clean and normal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
10/9/2016
Technician: Louie, Technician replied 1 year ago
Louie, Technician

Hi, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, how was the "...checked the ink..." done please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took them out individually and inspected them.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They look brand new.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In fact, the black is the only color I have used.

I understand.

Can you please try?

...open it up again and inspect again the ink. The unplug while printer is still open/ink cartridges exposed.

Allow this unplugged condition for an exptended period of time.

Then plug back and go through the process of closing it up and try to print/scan.

...may have to be done a couple of times.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How long is "extended"?

Say 30 minutes or longer please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is unplugged and will try again in about 20 minutes. why the long time unplugged? What can be gained in 30 that cannot be in 10?

The idea is to dissipate whatever stored power hence the longer the better.

The plugging back/ turning on with the ink cartridges exposed is to 'jolt' the system into action; a hopeful workaround.

The prescribed approach is to fully dis-assemble even for just a look-n-see.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If this doesn't work, I will have to use the warranty and have Canon attend to it. I've literally used it one time.

I understand.

And the above proposed procedure is a safe workaround as nothing inside would be touched/worked on; only those normally interacted by a user.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand. thank you. When not in use, should I unplug it to avoid this issue?

Yes , unplugging is electrically safe as it isolates the printer from power fluctuations, failures, spikes and anything untoward from the main line.

However from a mechanical perspective, non-use is not recommended as it leads to pre-mature ink drying and/or the lubricants likewise drying.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. This makes sense.

Great!

Glad that the above information may serve your purpose.

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had no luck. Same error message.

If tried a couple of times and error persist, then it would be as posted above, full dis-assembly even for just a look-n-see.

In some instances, it may be dried ink, dried lubricant, paper debris, foreign object or even just the cartridge holder unable to slide freely.

Other than the above check / tries, all others would be internal hence the dis-assembly.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No worries.Have a good day.

Cheers.

Louie, Technician